Tempo I and a tempo not adjustable

Hi,

is there any way to enter a tempo specification for Tempo I or a tempo?

F.E. I have a score with a long Vivace, then there are 4 bars “Patetico” and then there is “a tempo” again.

However, this doesn’t work in Playback, the tempo stays with the “Patetico”.
When I try to enter the exact tempo in a tempo (“a tempo q.=108”) this is removed and has no consequences.

So how do I get an a tempo to work?

I think it should be possible to enter Tempos like q=xy also in a tempo or Tempo I. Especially in long scores it is sometimes not exactly clear what is meant with Tempo I f.e.

So how do I enter e Tempo with “A tempo” or “Tempo I”?

With kind regards,
Torsten

Create new tempo mark and hide it, so only “a tempo” shows.

Or in Play mode, you can use the graphical tool to change the tempo track.

Thanks for your help,

but: I would sometimes like to have the beat written out, also in the instrumental parts, so it is clear which Tempo I is used.

And what I don’t understand: Is there a Special logic which prevents the number Input on Tempo I and a tempo? if so: Why???

This seems to be a needless patronizing of the Software…

Torsten

Then write it out: “Tempo I, q=120.”

That’s what I tried, but dorico always removes the q=120. That is the patronizing thing that annoys me.

I can get it to work with a writing error (leaving out the blank): “TempoI”.

The aim of the software is not to patronise you, but to help you to write conventional notation easily. You can’t currently show a metronome mark with a tempo reset, like “a tempo” or “tempo primo”, though we plan to make this possible in future.

In the meantime, type in a regular tempo, e.g. enter “q=120” into the Shift+T popover, then select it and in the Properties panel set the Text property to “A tempo” or “Tempo I”.

I am still not happy with this. Especially since I absolutely cannot see the benefit of this patronising.

How do I hide a tempo mark? When I enter a tempo mark seperately, the “A tempo” is removed. So the workaround I am using is to always enter two empty spaces between the words so dorico doesn’t recognize it.

A problem is also “L’istesso tempo”: Dorico forces the same tempo, but changing from 4/4 to 12/8 it can mean that q=108 is now q.=108.

So, please remove this annoying algorithm. I would be glad to define the tempos the way I need.

Has someone a better Workaround then my two empty spaces?

Torsten

Just add the tempo mark slightly before or slightly after the A Tempo. Use the caret to find a rhythmic location that’s near where you actually want it (you can get 1/1024 of a crotchet/quarter note accuracy with the caret). Visually it’s going to have to appear earlier or later than the A Tempo so it really doesn’t matter that you have to attach it fractionally earlier or later.