Tempo markings – Pìu mosso (or Meno mosso) followed by a metronome mark in brackets/parentheses

Like the title says, what I am trying to achieve here (something that I’d think should be very simple) is “Pìu mosso (q = 55)”. It accepts the Pìu mosso, but whatever I type after that disappears after confirming, regardless of if I put it in parentheses or not. It looks like Dorico doesn’t allow me to add anything after the Pìu mosso. Why is this? Seems to me that it’s a horrible feature if it is a feature. Any idea’s how I might achieve this perfectly simple tempo marking?

I don’t care for Dorico interpreting the q = 55 or Pìu mosso correctly, that’s what the properties window is for, I just want an actual tempo marking that says what I want.

Dorico considers più mosso to be a relative tempo change, rather than an immediate tempo change.

You can type ‘mosso (q=55)’ and then add the ‘più’ in the properties panel afterwards.

2 Likes

Right, that seems to work, thank you. That seems like a weird workaround for something that should be a straightforward action, isn’t it?

1 Like

The popover interprets what is typed fairly liberally, and the use of ‘più’ (or ‘meno’) is sufficient for the text to be flagged as a gradual tempo instruction.

Gradual tempos have their own Font Style, as they are commonly displayed in a different way from immediate tempi.

If the popover always parsed the contents as immediate tempi, and you had to set a flag to ‘convert’ them to gradual tempi, then that would be no less annoying.

3 Likes

It’s the diacritical mark on più that takes the most effort actually (at least on Windows).

1 Like

Check out the latest Power Toys release (v0.62.0). There is a utility for easily entering diacriticals (similar to what you can do on a cell phone).

Comment: I just ran into this exact issue and was also frustrated (I agree with OP @semh). It’s really frustrating when Dorico treats one variant one way, and a slightly different variant another way, without explaining it, and without giving us override options in the Properties panel.

I get the logic that piu/meno are relative designations, however, I don’t think that automatically precludes the importance of attaching a metronome marking if the user wishes.

My cheat for this is to type MenoAlt-SpaceMosso. The Alt-Space fools Dorico into creating a custom tempo that will allow a metronome mark. You might need to add Shift on Windows.

4 Likes

Thanks for the idea!. That’s a big help for an important issue for me🙂