Tempo Track Average Function

Hey all,

Is there a way to select a range with a bunch of slightly varying tempi in it and then have the app ‘average’ the tempos so that I have one constant tempo with the same start and stop times?

Thanks
B

If everything is following tempo as it should, you could manually delete all intermediate points and just adjust the first one and the last one.

I do that but what I’d really like is to take all the various tempi and average them out so that the beginning and end times are where they were when I selected…Its fairly easy to do if there is only one or two tempo changes, but when there are 20 or 30 it is harder. There used to be a function like “average tempo” in the “process tempo” dialogue, but I don’t see it anymore.

so…for example:
bar 1 happens at 2:30 and bar 30 happens at 4:30…in between I have a bunch of tempi because I played the piece rubato what I’d like to do is select all the tempos between bars 1 and 30 and keep the start and end at the same places but average out all the tempi I’ve put in between so that the piece starts and ends at the same place.

Ah, sorry. I get it now.

[Sorry, I had to remove the old post because a clients name was shown…redoing the visual…]

Thanks. To make it easier for others, I’ve included a visual.

Using the example here I have tempo changes from bars 8-31. I don’t care too much about the hits in between, but want the start and the stop to stay where thy are in time, (in this case 22.20 and 1:21.26) but to smooth all the tempi in between to one tempo that will ensure that the start and stop stay where they are but the tempo in between remains constant.

Right now, the process is tedious. I write down the start and stop. Erase all the tempi and try to eyeball the right tempo. A computer should be able to do this much more quickly than I can.

you may want to edit the old post to remove the image, otherwise it will hang around for 24 hours.

1 Like

Ok. I figured out a solution. Its not super elegant but I think it can work.

1. I select the bar range. [in this case bars 8-31]
  2. I open the process tempo dialogue box
  3. I Write down the “finish at position” [1:21.756]
  4. I close the Process tempo dialogue box
  5. I erase all the tempi between 8 and 31
  6. I re-open the process tempo dialogue box
  7. I go to the “new range” section and type in “1:21:756” in the “New End Position” box
  8. I hit Process

Voila

The new selection starts and ends where I wanted it but with one tempo only.

Just in case any of y’all need it, that’s how I did it. If there’s an easier way please tell me.

^That’s exactly what I was typing, but I couldn’t formulate it good enough. (not in front of Cubase at the moment)

What happens if you delete the tempo events first, and then do finish at position?

you mean before I write down where it should finish? I write it down on a piece of paper so that I can type it in after I erase the tempi…otherwise I can’t remember where I wanted it to end.

Yes, that’s what I meant. Write it down before deleting the tempo events. You can see that in the project without entering Process Tempo. Just a quick time display change.

bummer, I can’t edit now that I’ve ‘deleted’ it.

Yeah, you’re right. I had my time base in the process tempo window set to seconds instead of tc and didn’t realize what the issue was. Now that they’re aligned -

step 3 can be moved to 1.5 - “note the end time in the transport”

I used not to be using Cubase for a while, but if I still remember rightly, deleting tempo nodes in warp tempo mode (using warp mouse instead of pointer) will keep tempo node after the point you have just deleted at the same time position (that is to the next event of the tempo mapping, recalculating the tempo for the node at the left of deletion point). This way you can keep deleting nodes from left to right up to the time stamp you require. That is what warp mode for tempo setting is meant for.