Tempo

Hi there
Basic question. I can set the tempo under ‘tempo track’ but on exit and playback it reverts back to 120bpm. I presume there is something else I need to engage?
thanks in adcvance.

If you want a fixed tempo throughout the track you can just switch off the tempo track and then set tempo in the tempo track (track list area).
There is actually no need to even create a tempo track in this case, just remove it and use transport panel.

If you want to use tempo track for varying tempo through the track activate tempo track and click the edit button and move the line up or down to set tempo and add new points where the changes occur.

Thank you, I misunderstood that button.
I see that cubase references the nki file - wasn’t expecting that.

Cubase sets the default tempo to 120 bpm (well, it has to set it to something!) If you change this by overtyping in the tempo box, then your tempo will be whatever you enter for the whole track. If you want tempo changes, then you need to create a new track and choose the type ‘Tempo Track’. You can then expand this track (ie make it wider) and use the pencil tool to insert new tempo events, much as you would insert automation points. These can be snapped to bars or beats, or you can un-click snap and insert tempo events wherever you like. New tempo events are either ‘jump’ (instant tempo change) or ‘ramp’ (gradual tempo change). Bear in mind that a ramp starts from the previous tempo event, so it’s often wise to create a new tempo event at the existing tempo before creating the ramp event. The tempo value can be altered by dragging the event or, for finer control, you can enter a very detailed tempo (eg 123.45bpm) in the track inspector.

Bear in mind that changing tempos can have unwanted effects with projects that contain both audio and midi (especially if you have multiple audio events on a track that haven’t been ‘glued’ together!), so it’s wise to save your project before making these changes. You should read up on the difference between musical and linear timebases so you understand what’s going on. Tempo is also very much related to audio warping, so again read up on that if you need to shorten or lengthen an audio event.

Lastly, Cubase has a ‘tap tempo’ facility which lets you add tempo events based on space-bar presses and an excellent (but rather confusing!) tempo definition tool, both accessed from the project menu. Once again, read the manual or go online and look at some of the many excellent video tutorials.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, slowly getting my head around it all.