Temporary clef in score only?

Trying to recreate a score that frequently uses tenor clef in the score to save vertical space, but keeps everything in bass in the parts. Any way to this without coping the music into a second player that’s hidden in the score?

This? Not 100% sure it’s what you’re after. https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=122747#p933803

Nope, doesn’t help. No transposition involved. Cello and Bassoon.

It is what you are after. A transposed part for cello or bassoon looks identical to a concert pitch part, except for the clefs!

I’m confused though… transposed versions of those instruments don’t exist.

That’s OK: you can specify whether the layout is shown in concert or transposed pitch, and indeed a part for a cellor or bassoon will be shown in transposed pitch by default anyway (since all part layouts are shown transposed by default), and this is helpful in this case because it allows you to have different clefs.

So, if I have my Full Score in transposing pitch and want the bassoon clef change only in the score, then I have to make my basson part concert pitch? How?

What if I want to change the clef of the French Horn in the Score but want the part to be always in treble clef? How can I do that with a transposing Full Score?

As of Dorico 5, you can hide clefs in each layout if necessary.

Any workaround possible in D4?

I can’t think of one, not for clef changes that occur in the music. If the whole part should be in one specific clef, you can use a clef and transposition override at the layout level, but if you’re dealing with clef changes in the music, I can’t think of a good solution. (This is why, after all, we added the feature in Dorico 5.)

It is possible to do this in Dorico 4, but it is not easy. Since the score layout is in transposed pitch, the horn layout must be in concert pitch but behave as if it is in transposed pitch. The following project demonstrates how this can be done:
Horn clef change in score but not in part.dorico (527.6 KB)

I started with Clarinet in Bb and Horn (alto) in C, changing the player and instrument names for the horn to simulate Horn in F. Since the global key signature is Bb, I gave the horn staff an independent key signature of F. If you prefer the horn to have no key signature and show all accidentals, simply change the independent key signature to C. The horn clef change in the score has the property Show for transposition set to Transposing Pitch. For correct playback, the notes for the horn are transposed down a perfect fifth in HALion Sonic.

Did I mention this wasn’t easy? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I heard from a birdie that a new update might come in October? Is it true and is it a free upgrade to current D5 users? I’m thinking, should I upgrade today from 4 to 5 or wait for the next update to save a bit of money.

Typically, each paid-for release has a number of free ‘point’ updates (e.g. point 1, point 2, etc) over the year or so until the next paid-for release.

So, even if 5.5 comes out, it’s free for 5 users?

If it follows the same pattern as version 4: we’ll have 5.1, 5.2 and maybe 5.3 as free updates to version 5, before version 6.0 comes out.

There was only ever one .5 – 3.5, which was a paid-for upgrade. The upgrade fee was lower than usual, as a kind of ‘half’ version. The main purpose was to get some features out, and try to ‘reset’ the annual updates to a summer launch, but then there was Covid, and other issues.

Speaking of which – as you may have seen, the company that runs Steinberg’s online shop, Asknet, seems to have gone bust, so you can’t buy from Steinberg now, even if you wanted to. I don’t know whether you can purchase v4 to v5 upgrades from other shops, like online music retailers.

Yea, I just saw that. So perhaps when a new update comes out, the store is fixed. :slight_smile:
But thank you for your answer!

Probably the other way round!

1 Like

If you’re thinking about updating to Dorico 5, you can use the full software for 60 days via our free trial version. I fully expect the online shop to be available again long before that trial period runs out, and in the very unlikely event that it isn’t, we can always manually extend trial periods upon request.