Tenorbass Trombone

I have what I think is a simple question:
Does Dorico 4 have a Tenorbass Trombone? Is it by chance the one that shows up as Trombone/Tuba?

I hadnā€™t previously heard of such a thing, and if Wikipedia is to be believed, itā€™s also not in common use anymore. Dorico doesnā€™t have it in the list either, but you can of course just take a standard Bass Trombone and rename it.

Iā€™ve been involved in music for over 60 years and Iā€™ve never heard of ā€œtenorbass trombone.ā€ I see from wikipedia that itā€™s a tenor trombone with a trigger which lowers the pitch a fourth. Thatā€™s very common on many trombones, even where people donā€™t play lower parts. That trigger makes certain passages very easy which are much more difficult with just a slide trombone. The sound of a tenor trombone with a trigger isnā€™t any different from the same model tenor trombone without a trigger. Many companies (Conn, King, Bach and Yamaha among the long-established makers) make the same models with and without the trigger.
For Doricoā€™s purpose as well as for whomever will be playing your music, you can simply use the ā€œTromboneā€ instrument. If you will be writing in the lower range which the trigger allows you might label the part ā€œTrombone With F-Attachment.ā€ Donā€™t worry about whether Dorico tells you the notes are out of range, write them any way.
Labeling the part ā€œBass Tromboneā€ might be confusing since these days the term ā€œbass tromboneā€ implies for many tombonists a very large bore instrument with two triggers, one for F and for D. And the D trigger only works if the F trigger is opened first. It gives a great extended range and the larger bore gives a nice fat but clear sound down well into the tuba range.

1 Like

I think the simple answer is ā€˜noā€™, since I was looking for one the other week. I used the bass trombone option, for range purposes, and specified in the performing instructions that Iā€™m expecting the player to use either a tenor/bass, or a tenor except for specific passages if they prefer.

I think that sample libraries have tenors & basses, but not tenor/basses ā€“ a generalization that maybe someone can counter with specific examplesā€¦

Hey everyone,
Thanks for your replies.
I know that Tenorbass trombone exists in the Spanish language (Tenor-bajo), because I have it documented in an orchestration book from 1950, by authors Casella & Mortari. In this book they talk about the Bass trombone loosing itā€™s place within the symphonic orchestra of the 20 Century and being replaced with the Tenorbass trombone, which is in B flat, with a valve that changes it to F so it can reach the lower register notes more comfortably.
here the caveat is that Iā€™m translating from Spanish and I am not a trombone player, so ā€¦ what do I know. :confused:
In any case, I appreciate your replies and Iā€™ll use them to guide me in scoring this instrumentā€™s part.
Any other ideas are certainly welcome.
Thank you for your time and consideration.

The Bass trombone (in F or even E flat) existed a long time before the Tenorbass trombone. When valves were invented in the 19th century, instrument manufacturers combined the flexibility of the Tenor trombone (in B flat) with the low register of the Bass trombone (in F, with the valve pressed) and called it Tenorbass trombone. Often this instrument had a slightly bigger bore compared to the normal Tenor trombone.

Well, that didnā€™t happen, thankfully. Iā€™d get a more trusted book on orchestration, like Walter Pistonā€™s.