Terpstra keyboard and microtonal notation

Ok, first off, I know this is fringe of the fringe of requests and uses of Dorico.
That said…

I’m beta testing a great midi controller, the lumatone and it makes me wonder about writing for it. Right now I’m playing in 31 tone equal temperament, but you can load different tunings on it, though it only works by mapping note names and not sending MPE pitch change or anything fancy. So its triggering samples or synths tuned through scala files or something similar.

Here’s a couple of videos of me trying to play the thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSTWJm8Zy0A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KopbbqYFrw

It makes me wonder if its possible to colour code notes in Dorico, since the instrument can be set with colours to map out tunings. In this 31 tuning C Major is in the green keys and sharps the blue row above, flats the pale blue below. Writing a chart all in C major but using five colours of notes would work, though mapping it out to play the correct midi notes would be tricky, I’m sure.

How possible is this inside Dorico?
Anybody else have an idea of a better way of dealing with it?

You can filter notes by pitch and then colour them via the Properties panel, but there’s no good way to dynamically colour notes according to their pitch in an automatic fashion at the moment. You could design your own notehead set that uses different coloured noteheads for each pitch or scale degree; this is how the Figurenotes option on the Notes page of Engraving Options works, for example.

Thanks, Daniel.

Filter by pitch would likely be tricky, since the lumatone just remaps the 127 notes across its keyboard as you choose. The 31 tet layout means that the notes of any one ‘colour’ on the keyboard would be all over the the range and on different pitches in every octave. I had to give the prototype back today, so will keep thinking about how to deal with it as I get back to making a living for a bit.

I don’t think there’s an easy way to deal with it, probably best to just use custom noteheads and not worry about playback.

It does make me wonder about the possibility MPE with pitch bend on each note as an alternative. That combined with alternate accidentals that sent pitch bend info would be likely pretty powerful, though absolutely a very limited market. The keyboard had polyphonic aftertouch, which was a joy to use. MPE has been a long time coming.