text layout bug

Hi again,

I found a bug. Youtube video to illustrate:

I am trying to use text popover (shift-X) twice on the same note in order to put in fingerings for both notes in the chord. The order is unchangeable, even after setting offsets. It doesn’t get saved. As soon as you switch to a different layout, the old one forgets the ordering.

Thanks,
Greg

A workaround is I deleted all the text, then selected the low note, shift-X, add the “1” then select the high note, shift-X add “3” Then Dorico displays in the correct order without changing offset

I don’t see this as a bug, at all.
Dorico’s fingering module hasn’t yet been released, so you’re using Shift-X text to do something it’s not really designed to do.

Rather than using Shift-X twice, use Shift-X once - you can use shift-Enter to give you a second line. You’ll likely need to fiddle with the font spacing options.

It may not be a bug in your view, but the program allows the user to do something, and then after saving, changes it silently and subtly. That is a usability bug from a programmer’s perspective.

It’s been made clear since day one that layouts are separate in terms of, well, layout.

Shift-X does not know that you’re stacking multiple text objects above each other in a specific order. All it knows is that you’re attaching two objects to one note.

If you attach your stacked objects as one object they will always display the way you entered them.

Apologies - I missed the bit about it shifting in the original layout. My fault entirely. I agree with you about this being weird behaviour. Sorry again!

If you want to do this with two separate text items rather than with a single one with a carriage return in it (which I would recommend – if you’re not doing that because you want a different amount of line spacing between the rows of fingerings, you can change the leading by editing the paragraph style you’re using), then I would recommend disabling collision avoidance for text items on the Text page of Engraving Options, which will make the placement of the text items more stable.

ah thanks, I’m devouring all the subtleties these days, nice to learn of another one.

I was attaching the fingerings to individual notes in keeping with the idea that they are semantic (this is the fingering for that note) but if it won’t make things any easier, I can go the other route. Thanks, as always. I’ve never seen responsiveness like this before. You must meditate or something :slight_smile:

The wait for “real” fingering won’t be too much longer. Unfortunately it won’t be possible to convert existing text items into real fingerings, but hopefully it won’t be too onerous to go back through the music adding proper fingerings. And our fingering feature will indeed work on a per-note basis, so your instinct about how to tackle them using text items was right on the money, but unfortunately doesn’t really work in practice!