Thanks for crashing all morning

Dear Cubase,

I just wanted to thank you for crashing all morning. I went through painstaking efforts to reconstruct a song by exporting all channels, then importing them into a new song file. I thought after reconstructing the song from the ground up I would have a chance at keeping you running through the rest of my work session. NOPE, you just don’t quit quitting.
I have work for a grant proposal due this evening. Thank you for making the rest of my day a giant PITA.

PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF *** WRITE A ****CKING PROGRAM THAT CAN HANDLE BASIC WORKFLOW WITHOUT CRASHING!!

Why is it that I can automate hundreds of parameters simultaneously in Reason without ever crashing, and yet Cubase on whim decides to take a dive while performing rudimentary mixing tasks?

I’ve always opened older projects in the new version of Cubase and just done as it told me basically. C6 usually spots that it’s an older project from a previous version and corrects accordingly then gives info on plugs that ain’t gonna make it in the new project. Just OK all that and you should be good to go. Shame you had to go through a bunch of crap all morning though :frowning:

Any info on your setup there (system, Cubase versions, etc)? Someone might know a little more and be able to help… :sunglasses:

Basic workflow is what? Your computer spec’s are what? Why did you buy Cubase? (if Reason works so well)
And why use a new DAW if you’re up against a deadline?

Do you want to know what’s wrong or just have agood ole rant?

If you want to know what’s possibly wrong then others need a detailed and possibly professional description of the system you use and the work you intend to use Cubase for.

Thousands of others don’t crash, see.

But if you just want a rant rave on, brother. :mrgreen: Could do with a laugh.

Eat it. Seriously. I’ve been using Cubase for more than 10 years. This song file is jacked in both ver 5 and 6.
AN EXAMPLE OF BASIC WORKFLOW IS MULTI-TRACK MIXING WHILE USING EQ, COMPRESSION, REVERB AND DELAY. I’m not asking for much, just the basic functionality. The point about Reason is that it is possible to write a program that has many features and is stable.

AS FAR AS WRITING A DETAILED REPORT:

I DON’T CARE ANYMORE. I don’t want to have to do this every couple of weeks. I get one thing fixed, get going again, and then bingo- another crash issue. I’ve been doing that for years on different computers with different systems, hoping this program would finally work out it’s kinks.
Nopes. EVERY OTHER PROGRAM THAT I USE AND HAVE EVER USED ON A REGULAR BASIS IS MORE STABLE THAN CUBASE.

Reason
Record
Logic
Photoshop
Illustrator
After Effects
Final Cut

I’ve only ever had a fraction of the trouble with any of the above programs.

What “thousands” do you speak for? If there are 10,000 users and it runs fine for 5,000, that is a not a great success. I’m willing to bet that close to 50% of Cubase users experience crashes on a weekly basis.

Well, I’ll leave you to it as you’re obviously so happy to use a program that apparently hasn’t worked for you for TEN years. If I had that much trouble I’d have gone elsewhere many moons ago.

If you can’t be bothered to explain what’s happening then nobody here is likely to be bothered about YOUR problem. Great to have one’s head bitten off when trying to help. Ta. :mrgreen:

You’ll laugh about this when you tell your grandkids.

You have just identified your problem !

I too had similar experiences in the past until I followed the 5 simple steps as outlined in my DIY guide that YOU TOO can have for only $19.95

Savadious’s are standing by to take your calls ! :laughing:

Ok - on a serious note… I said “NOTE” get it ! haha Cubase… NOTE ! Hahahaha I crack myself up…

Anyhow here is a breakdown of your issues as noted in your posts above…

1. These type of problems are seen less in your other software
    “I’ve only ever had a fraction of the trouble with any of the above programs”

I too experienced this… as Michael Jackson would have said “YOU ARE NOT ALONE…”

1. This song file is jacked in both ver 5 and 6.

You may be on to something here… “This song file is jacked” - a DAW is not a file repair tool perhaps…

1. I DON’T CARE ANYMORE. I don’t want to have to do this every couple of weeks. I get one thing fixed, get going again, and then bingo- another crash issue. I’ve been doing that for years on different computers with different systems, hoping this program would finally work out it’s kinks.

Find the common link between all this… it WILL point back to something YOU have been doing… I will get back to this after the next quote… stay tuned (I said TUNED - heh get it … TUNED… !! )

1. I have work for a grant proposal due this evening. Thank you for making the rest of my day a giant PITA.

Now we are getting somewhere. It is not music related - or rather… your grant proposal is not CUBASE related - so why did you mention it? I HOPE it is not due tomorrow.

If your grant proposal IS in fact due tomorrow then it does indeed point to workflow… It may be time you step back and take a look at the big picture to see what types of energy you are generating that can potentially lead to such issues…

I am not at all judging you. I am not even saying you are doing a big grant proposal at the 9th hour. What I am saying is simply take a look at HOW you use your DAW and maybe it can be ‘adjusted’ in order to work more efficiently.

I too had similar experiences in the past until I followed the 5 simple steps as outlined in my DIY guide that YOU TOO can have for only $19.95

Well… Actually what I did was to STOP USING MY DAW… alongside other non-music related tasks. I had to create a system that was for MUSIC USE ONLY - and start from the ground up never installing my Office Suite, never installing my online gaming apps, never installing email, and furthermore I even made sure it was never given simple INTERNET ACCESS !

Ya - all that may seem extreme, however you noted “bingo- another crash issue. I’ve been doing that for years on different computers with different systems, hoping this program would finally work out it’s kinks.”

If this has been haunting you for years… it is time to rebuild from the ground up. Time, money - we ALL have issues. It is YOU who must determine if the time and money is worth YOUR peace of mind.

Solution (if you do not opt for the $19.895 infomertial):

Fresh OS with ONLY your DAW installed. Give it time to see if you still have these problems… If they are gone - then you are now rid of problems…

If that does NOT get rid of your problems then you have isolated it to the base system hardware ! My ages old problem ended up being a SENSITIVE POWER SUPPLY ! New Power Supply and an AVR/UPS did teh trick way back when. Who would have known that a WORKING power supply could have issues that caused my cubase to lock up - but it was true !

Another was a video card - once replaced - no more problems were seen.

Try to identify something in common with all the problems you have had… and that 1 link… is most likely the answer. In my case Power supply AND video card were all tied into bad WIRING IN THE HOUSE ! That was causing my electronics to freak out. “AVR” for electricity stabilization along with that battery backup unit UPS has prevented any relapses for years ! (Ooh and I did get a new house which helped a little).

NOTE: If you are not in the position to have a dedicated DAW - you have the option of a DUAL BOOTING system. Most computers can dual boot and dual hard drives makes it very easy.

Let us know if you need a hand with that. We are all friends here. Even conman… hes a cool cat despite the name :laughing: !

"2. This song file is jacked in both ver 5 and 6.

You may be on to something here… “This song file is jacked” - a DAW is not a file repair tool perhaps…"

The file is not corrupt. I have backups that are in the same condition. Besides, my current problems are with the reconstruction of a previous file.

“Find the common link between all this… it WILL point back to something YOU have been doing…”

The common link is Cubase.

"Now we are getting somewhere. It is not music related - or rather… your grant proposal is not CUBASE related - so why did you mention it? "

?? Cubase is directly related because I am mixing some work on it to be submitted.

Listen, I don’t care about troubleshooting and workarounds anymore. What I am trying to say is that I’m tired of being a beta-tester guinea pig for what is supposed to be a finished working product.
I bought this product to use it not to maintenance it in the middle of every third project.
In terms of stability, Cubase gets an F, and I have no qualms about complaining about it.

Sorry I shortened it up a bit :laughing:
Was so hard to resist - just pm me and I will add the full quote instead if you prefer sir.

But seriously, I completely understand frustration with equipment. In that example above I forgot to mention that it took me 1 year to track down my problem to faulty home wiring.

It was VERY difficult because the home was custom built to order and the last thing I expected to find in my brand new hand crafted Arizona home with grey carpets, green countertops, primary red, primary green, primary yellow and sky-blue interior walls along with oak trim was a wiring problem.

NOTE - the exterior was plain Jane Adobe style - so neighbors never expected they were living next to Jr. Liberace

I went through several computers - just like you mention. Just to track down the problem to an erratic power supply and video card (on seperate occasions) that were made unstable by faulty in home wiring. Using an Uninterruptable Power Supply/Voltage Regular was the bandaid until I had the music room re-wired directly from the breaker-box with new switch thingies and wire as well.

What “thousands” do you speak for? If there are 10,000 users and it runs fine for 5,000, that is a not a great success. I’m willing to bet that close to 50% of Cubase users experience crashes on a weekly basis.

There’s 8800 odd members here and probably ten users (ok let’s say 100) ranting like you are doing right now.

Does that not tell you something?

Thanks for the sanity Savadious. Cubase is unbelievably comlex. It does many things. The computer needs to be pretty sh… hot and very well set up to have all the features run smoothly.
You really do have to be an engineer because it’s a serious piece of kit. I’m a fair engineer and when Cubase crashes I know that it’s usually me. I track the procedure down and fix it via several forums or engineering friends and I haven’t had to come crying here once.
If I thought that problems like yours were widespread and also affected me I would long ago have my lawyers contact Steinberg’s MD via ordinary mail outlining failures. I say this because as you seem to have expertise in a number of recording programs I assume you are a businessman. But. I’m curious as to why you don’t complain like one. :unamused:

Does the grant run to $19.99? Could solve a lot of problems. :mrgreen: