the ducker plugin

has anyone ever used the ducker plugin successfully?

It works, but it is a bit uneasy to set.

1. Add the ducker to the music clip that you want to duck

2. In the voice track, choose this option:
    2020-08-24_08-34-28.png
    I am considering improving the procedure in the future and by changing the plugin to be a track plugin.

thanks for the reply pg
I’m not sure if this is a glitch or not, when i set the vocal track to upper track and audio, it also sets the music track above it to upper track and audio instead of just leaving it off. and as a matter of fact, what ever tracks i have, no matter how many or how few, what ever option i set on that routing, it changes all the tracks to that same option instead of acting independently, any thoughts on that?

Not sure what you mean, but the music track must be above the voice track. This is because of the picture I have shown in my previous message.
Try to start with a simple 2 tracks montage.

yes, for my experiment the music track is above the voice track as you instructed, with a simple 2 track montage. Initially they are both set to off in the routing, but heres where it gets a little strange, I go to the music track,(as we are discussing), set up the ducker plug in to the music clip, so far so good, then i go to the voice track, (track 2 below), and like your picture i set the routing from the original off selection to the new “route audio to output and upper track” so far so good, it seems, until I recheck the music track (track 1) and now it has switched from off to “route audio to output and upper track” as well, I’m thinking “thats not supposed to do that”, so off I go trying many different setups and configurations and indeed, consistantly, whatever i change the routing to in one track it changes to that same routing in any and all other tracks. I’m thinking “bug” what do you think?

But does the audio duck where there’s voice? IAW, does it work?

kinda, with the amount of work necessary to tweak the ducker plugin, (and even then I never really got to a satisfied result), a simple sidechain compressor set up at this point for me would deliver a much easier and effective solution.

kinda, with the amount of work necessary to tweak the ducker plugin, (and even then I never really got to a satisfied result), a simple sidechain compressor set up at this point for me would deliver a much easier and effective solution.

You can’t use Compressors for ducking, because a side-chain compressor changes the audio level in proportion to the side-chain level, while for typical ducking, a constant damping value is needed.

By “typical ducking” I mean eg. a radio program, with a music track and a dialogue starting to take place.

and now it has switched from off to “route audio to output and upper track” as well, I’m thinking “thats not supposed to do that”, so off I go trying many different setups and configurations and indeed, consistantly, whatever i change the routing to in one track it changes to that same routing in any and all other tracks. I’m thinking “bug” what do you think?

This looks like a bug. But I was not able to reproduce it.
Anyway, currently this part of the montage is being re-worked, and will make sure there is a better ducker in next big version.

what more could anyone ask for, thanks for all your input pg, very helpful

ok heres an update to what I described earlier, (for what its worth). So the “so called” odd behavior i was getting was coming from the specific approach i was taking, let me try to explain. assume all the above set up is in place as we have been discussing, if I “rt click” on a track in the Track Control area, scroll to the bottom where it says "routing in the dialog box, and then make my selection, for ex, “route to output and audio channel” thats the approach that causes all other tracks that i rt click on to show the same selection. On the other hand, and this is the important distinction. If I make my selection on the routing button, then the behavior is independent for each track, I just discovered this distinction and had to share it for new clarification. and another interesting bit is that the top track allows no modification choices (they are dimmed out) when using the routing button in the Track Control Area.

Thanks for the update. I can reproduce. What is wrong is what the menu shows. But the option is properly set on each track. This will need a fix.