The error correction function is horrible

I really just want to draw a selection around the target, move the selection to a source area, and copy paste to the target, even if I have to move the selection back to the target. I could do that in previous versions, and I think it’s very limiting that it can’t be done anymore

This “old” procedure is still possible, as demonstrated below: (see picture):

1. draw a selection around the target
  2. activate source at cursor
  3. move the selection to a source area
    Then you just have to trigger the copy command. This is what you request.

Thanks PG. That’ll work.

Justin, so you make time selections in RX covering the entire frequency spectrum, and run the RX “Spectral Repair” process on them? Is that what you’re doing? Seems incredibly fast.

Yes. In my video I am using just the Mouth De-Click module which is super magical and really only affects the higher frequencies and leaves the lower frequencies alone without harm.

When Mouth De-Click isn’t right, I usually use normal De-Click and again, you can skew the processing to the higher (or lower frequencies) to help.

Of course, sometimes I do use the lasso tool and only select part of the frequency spectrum if it’s something unique, but Mouth De-Click works for a majority of what I fix in a typical mastering session.

The video is a fake demonstration so I have no idea if I was fixing actual mouth clicks but you get the idea of how fast the interaction is between REAPER and RX.

It’s honestly a significant reason why I use REAPER for the analog processing before finishing in WaveLab.

The best part is that doing this in REAPER, I have a clear visual map of where all the edits were made on a song. This can be helpful if a client sends a new mix of a song that needs to be fully reprocessed. It happens fairly often.

With my REAPER workflow, I’ve even been able to easily and safely punch-in to mixes when only one small spot changes. Or more on topic, if I did some more detailed work at the end of a song removing the click track bleed with RX, I can often preserve that little section of work because my recordings from analog are totally in sync and available for selection on the timeline.

It’s really a thing of beauty.

Actually I’ve already run into an issue with this. How do I play what I’ve just fixed without moving or clearing the source, because the source is now tied to the cursor, and I need to move the cursor to play? What if the source is after the target? I still think the source target capability of 8.5 should be restored for this.

Also after viewing Justin’s video, it’s pretty obvious that there are no processes to run on larger selections in the Wavelab spectrum like there are in RX. Declick, Denoise, Repair, etc., the whole column listed on the right. Yes you can load and open up Restore Rig in Wavelab and render in place to selections in the spectrum, but that’s very difficult and inefficient compared to the way they’ve done it in RX with a whole list of processes that can be run on selections using shortcuts without opening the modules.

But having said that, with my limited testing I had better luck transparently declicking with the Error Detection and Correction Sensitive and Very Sensitive factory presets than with Restore Rig. I don’t know why. The EDC does 1ms or 2ms correction at most, which you can see from the correction markers. RX was also effective in my testing.

But I still find the EDC Digital Click Detection (factory preset Click Detection) unusable for any purpose. It might be indetectable because it only “corrects” single samples, but it does more harm than good on hf sine waves, and its the only module that does that.