The "Insert Lyrics" button. Skip note

Hi! Does anyone know if it’s possible for the “Insert Lyrics” button to skip some notes? In the example below, I’d like the F note to be skipped:

The hair space seems to work (if added as a separate syllable), but the note doesn’t actually get skipped. Isn’t there a symbol I could use for Cubase to know that the F note should have no lyric?

That would interest me too!
If such a character existed, then it should also be recognizable with the opposite command (lyrics → clipboard), but there you only find normal spaces.

As a workaround for tied notes that don’t have their own syllables, I use a “-” sign and then delete this with the eraser tool.

1 Like

I did not try it, but how about the non-breaking space?

1 Like

How do you enter this in the text window of the notation settings?

On Windows, hold alt while typing 0160.

On Mac, hold opt while typing +0160. (thanks @m.c for the link)

Put a regular space before and after the non-breaking space. it. I tried it and it worked.

On Mac, I suppose there is some way to type or paste the character.

2 Likes

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1899290?sortBy=best

2 Likes

On a Mac hold {opt} and press the space bar :

3 Likes

It works - I can also copy texts with the non-breaking space back to the clipboard.
In a hex editor I see the character “A0” (=160) in the corresponding position.
Nevertheless, I see this solution to the problem mentioned at the beginning as just a workaround, because the penultimate note is not skipped (as if a tab character had been entered during direct entry), but is filled with an invisible character.
The result is that the hyphen between the syllables “noth” and “ing” does not appear in the middle.

1 Like

Unfortunately, the only difference—when using a non-breaking space—is that the note ends up with an invisible lyric. Thanks anyway! Cubase Score Editor is still the best! :stuck_out_tongue:

P.S. I find the non-breaking space helpful if after the slurred syllable there’s no hyphen. For cases in which a hyphen follows, the word can be typed like this: “some -thing” (in which case the hyphen will be placed on the second note).

But isn’t this a melisma you want?

Isn’t melisma typically noted with a long, continuous underscore?

The subject of the topic is “… Skip note”. So what I’m looking for is a way to literally skip the second note in a two slurred notes group (by modifying the text inside Notepad).

If there’s no hyphen after the syllable, yes. If not, one or more hyphens are used (depending on what rules you’re trying to take into account / keep).

omg. you have the solution to your edge case.

Using the non-breaking space and adding multiple hyphens is not a solution. It’s a workaround. Nevertheless, it is a helpful workaround and I thank you for suggesting it.

1 Like

Everything has been said about the current possibilities, but the fact that the functions “Lyrics To Clipboard” and “Lyrics from Clipboard” are not the exact counterparts is, in my opinion, a flaw.

The note-skipping problem would certainly be easily solved, e.g. with the TAB character (only as a suggestion), which is easier to enter than the non-breaking space.

However, this will only bother a few users, as most music writers will work with other programs (like Dorico). In this respect, I don’t really expect that Steinberg will care about such a peripheral issue.

1 Like

This is an interesting workaround. Thank you.

Would’ve been nicer if a special symbol had the functionality of the TAB key (to be used only for skipping certain notes). Or, as @P.A.T suggested, have the TAB itself do the job.

This combination (option+space bar) works only if you didn’t previously assign it to something else. For example, I have “opt+space” assigned to “Select next source in Input menu”. There is of course Ukulele which can help customizing the Input Source in such a way that every user’s need/preference is met…

1 Like

Oh yeah… I remember that from my Macintosh System 7 QuarkXPress days.

1 Like