"The Light & The Darkness" - pro mix (feat: Pearldivers)

…and the last of the batch of six professionally recorded, produced and mixed songs.
Jet was kind enough to do a wee ‘languid’ solo, which was subsequently mangled by the producer and mix engineer Eddie Rayner :astonished:

The Light & The Darkness

Words & Music - Ian Rushton
Vocals, Guitars - Ian Rushton
Bass - Shayne Williams
Drums - Michael Barker
Lead - Jet Crawford
Keyboards, Production & Mix - Eddie Rayner

Thanks Ian for having me onboard with this second tune of your project. It’s a great honour.
As I said in that email last week, it doesn’t matter how Eddie re-jigs the files, I’m just happy
not to have been summarily dismissed after the first submissions. :wink:

Well, down the dusty track :wink: :blush: sometime later perhaps you can share with us
what you gleaned from this whole studio exercise. Learning curves, observations, distillations,
inspirations?

In the meantime…thanks again.

Jet

Sounds great Ian. Your vocal sounds great on all these tracks, did you change your style a little? Maybe added more focus to your performances? Beneficial, that’s for sure :sunglasses:

Cheers
Phil

No - thank you! :smiley:

…sometime later perhaps you can share with us what you gleaned from this whole studio exercise. Learning curves, observations, distillations,inspirations?

Well, I did have a dying thread running in The Lounge, I’d already shared a few insights there that’d I’d previously sent to you via email. I guess I could pick up where I left off at some stage. :sunglasses:

Well, I agree! LOL When I first heard me on these I though ‘crikey, is that REALLY me??’ :astonished: I think the main benefit really was having someone else, a very experienced someone else, both directing the vocal takes and then later mixing and tweaking them. I did between 5 - 7 full takes on each song with a few drop-ins here and there. I imagine Ed spent a good amount of time comp’ing the best parts out of each of those takes. On many of the tracks the vocal is also doubled. And of course I’m singing into an impressive signal chain too. :slight_smile:

In terms of performance, well initially I was a little anxious to be honest. I know that when we play live my delivery is almost always ‘assisted’ by alcohol :smiley: and is therefore usually quite unihibited. I was a little concerned that I might be a little introverted in studio, but surprisingly I felt quite relaxed and actually manged to get into that ‘zone’ - completely un-‘assisted’ ! :smiley:

I can hear on a few tracks Ed has played around with the vocal timing and phrasing in places, all changes for the better of course. :sunglasses:

Sounds great Ian, just like all the others :slight_smile:

:sunglasses:

Effing Brilliant!

Dang. Once again, I’m speechless.

Wonderful songwriting and recording, and GREAT singing! Your voice is great, dude – perfectly suited to this sort of Rock.

And… once again

THE SNARE SOUNDS BLOODY PERFECT

That’s not like you! :laughing:

Wonderful songwriting and recording, and GREAT singing! Your voice is great, dude – perfectly suited to this sort of Rock.

Thanks Doug :slight_smile:

And… once again
THE SNARE SOUNDS > BLOODY > PERFECT

:smiley: