The Monitor Button

I like the facility in Cubase 12 Pro that you can record your lead vocal live with effects when the monitor button is engaged. When my tecording volume is zero I can still hear my voice and the meters are actively moving. Why is my voice still being recorded? My mic. Neumann TLM 103 and the Focusrite 18i8.

Alan Russell

What is exactly your “recording volume” ? Is it the Pre-Gain, the fader or a gain setting done on your audio device ?

Could you post a screenshot of the MixConsole showing the involved track, with both its Pre-Gain and fader settings ?

When you say pregain-would this entail the gain set on the plugins. For the mic. I use HOFA?

I will send you a screenshot later

No, I was thinking of this one, in a given MixConsole strip :

C12_MixConsole_PreGain

This is not zero. If you turn down this fader all the way your input signal should be mute.
grafik

Or he can use the MUTE button on the input bus or disable the monitor button on the track/channel.

Maybe I wasn’t clear. My lead vocal is using the Neumann TLM 103 Mic. with the Focusrite 18i8 that comes in at measure 8 in the score
The focusrite recording knob is set at zero for that microphone. The monitor is engaged for the track in cubase. 12 pro. The fader is preset for that microphone track about 60% it is not at zero. At around measure 7 raise the focusrite fader to a 12 o’clock position.
I start the recording and I could still hear the background noise from measures one through seven on that microphone track on playback. If I shut down the monitor button in cubase then everything is silent for measures 1 thru 7. I want to be able to hear my reverb while singing live in the recording but everything prior to that vocal recording should be dead silent on the track.

Thank you for your ongoing help

I’ve been working on this issue all morning and I may have a solution. The input Fader labeled TLM103 must be balanced with a Focusrite 1808 audio interface gain knob when it is set is zero to achieve a waiting state of volume (near silence) before the TLM103 Neumann microphone is ready to record.

I am happy for you that you have found somewhat of a solution for you.
I would also like to encourage you to learn more about the topic of what the gain knob on your Focusrite actually does and what all these faders and buttons in Cubase do. I highly recommend to read the manuals, for Cubase that would be the “setting up the system” chapters.