The Non-Musical Parts of the Score

Where can I find the following information, please?
1-How to create a title page with graphics for a Dorico score. Is this a Dorico function, or do I create this separately to give it to the printer along with the pdf for the score?
2-Where to create instrument lists and performance notes for the score.

Thank you.

I usually add title and extra pages at the end of the file so they will not interfere with any formatting done to the music pages, and then I export them to a separate PDF and combine them as front pages with the music PDF.

(I have a Page Template for Title page as well as a template for blank pages with headers and footers and lower case roman numeral page numbers for the rest of the front material.)

1 Like

Thanks very much. I think you’re saying you create the pages separately and have some way to combine them with the score pdf. I don’t have Adobe tools but can look into buying them if they will be needed.

If I’m taking things to a printer, it’s no big deal; but if I’m sending an orchestra the digital files, it would be better if the librarian didn’t have to piece things together.

Any templates you want to share will find a loving forever home here. :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

I hope, I understand exactly what you mean.
Insert an empty page where you want to put graphics and text.

In engrave mode.
on the left side,Push the squer-button /
Push the Insert-Graphics- frame-Button / draw the right size
Then insert the graphic.
The same way with Text to insert
You can also insert graphic or text-Fields if there are already notes.

1 Like

Thanks for the help. I’ll use your directions to give it a try. :slightly_smiling_face:

Here are two really short video, where Anthony does probably everything you want to create. Just create everything as a master page template, so every part looks the same.

3 Likes

Nice. Thanks.

A key point is that if you create these pages as page templates (previously known as “master pages” but the functionality is the same), you can re-use their design on multiple pages and in multiple layouts.

If you insert a blank page and draw frames in, those frames only exist on that page and can’t be re-used.

1 Like

Excellent videos!

Lilie,!Thank you.

All, My experience is in the studio, and I’m having touble finding scores to download (although I have joined IMSLP.org).

I think the page order should be like this:

1. Title Page
  2. Blank Page (back of Title Page)
  3. Music (begins on page 1, right side of book)
  4. Notes page(s) with list of instruments and any performance notes

I’m told 11x17 coil/spiral bound is good for conductor’s scores with parts on 9x12 or 8.5x11–but that’s not a Dorico question. :slightly_smiling_face:

I would switch 3. and 4. Instrumentation page is always before the music.

9X12 parts are good, but 8.5X11 is too small.

Check out the MOLA publications guidelines.

2 Likes

There is a major limitation here in that Dorico won’t do “full bleed”, which is often desirable for things like title pages. You can’t go outside the margins.

1 Like

@rkrentzman

Thanks, my friend. Makes sense.

Consider using Dorico from your number 3 (page 1)
Leave the titling page for some InDesign/Affinity Design app :wink:

Since switching to Dorico, I’ve always done all my front matter pages within the project, using a combination of page templates and local page overrides where necessary. Maybe I just don’t have wild enough ideas about how to format such pages :wink: YMMV.

5 Likes

In most music books I own, Beethoven/Schubert etc…
the Preface and -Title pages have the same layout the music pages have (that means, the same margins)
If I send my notes to a printing house, they always want the Cover (outside) page (PDF-file)
to be separated from the inside-pages.
As long as Dorico isn’t a desktop publishing programme, I can live with that.

1 Like

I do front matter in Word, or whatever, and combine this file with the Dorico file in FinePrint on Windows. But I am not sure whether it is available for MAC.

David

As Lillie already said, you can do all the Layout inside Dorico.
One adventage using Dorico for Title Pages, Contents Page and so on is;
you can use the Tokens like Title, Subtitle, Composerdate etc…
It saves lots of time after getting used to work like this.

I wrote a note book with 240 pages (4 Hand Piano)
with pictures, text exclusively in Dorico.
(the Book-cover needed a desktop publishing prog., of cource)
At the moment I’m finishing the second note book with dorico
and its great fun.
By the way: 4 Hands Piano music, the music begins on the left side of the note book
, not on page one

2 Likes

Excuse my self-indulgence for a moment, I have a spontaneous inkling to share something of mine in case it’s a helpful example.

I wrote a short choral piece for a friend’s wedding last year (a very special honour) and wanted the title page to be “a bit special”, more than my usual style which I will happily admit isn’t particularly fancy.

I used a drawing app on an iPad (and a lot of practice) to draw a customized calligraphy title which I could export as a blank-background-ed graphic and bring into Dorico in a graphics frame. I did the same for the top/bottom border decorations. So all of that, including the plain text bits, exists on the same page template.

7 Likes

Lilie, That’s beautiful!

1 Like