The Stragglers - "A Little Shake Up!"

This is a Stagglers version of my song “A Little Shake Up!”. My original version of this song ACTUALLY made it to prime time TV! :astonished:

I entered it in a 2011 Rugby World Cup (hosted here in September) song competiton hosted by the TV channel and they actually showed a snippet of the rough vid I’d made for it on the 6pm news :open_mouth: Actually, it was quite funny at the time, I’d enterd the vid expecting nothing, as you do. And a week later there was Mr and Mrs Sherz sitting down in front of the telly munching on some fine home-cooked Chinese quisine when all of a sudden, Mrs Sherz turns to me and says “Honey…you’re on the TV”. I looked up and said “Hmmm… I thought I recognised that song!” :laughing:

Anyway, this is a much faster Stragglers version, and don’t tell me… the snare sucks and my acoustic is out of tune! :laughing:

A Little Shake Up!

I quite like it :smiley:
The last part you have a stabby synth-sound you pan from left to right a few times. I thought that could be a bit more defined because I went back to it a few times just to hear what exactly was giving me that weird panorama sensation. Not saying it’s bad though, once I put my finger on it I quite liked it.

I’m not a fan of that very last synth tone you use, I find it a bit too grungy compared to the rest of the tune. I’d make it a bit cleaner.

Well, no, it doesn’t and it isn’t. :laughing: :astonished: :exclamation:

Very commercial song, strong chorus.

Bass is a bit tubby and the file sounds…dunno…coarse? Not smooth anyway.

Great job Ian!

Jet

LOL – sounds like a solicitation for a particular poster’s print-to-tape service :laughing:

This is quite well-realized. I like it! Drums – including snare – sound good. (Kick is a tad too clicky for me in the quieter passages). Not too “maximized” (if at all), allowing me to CRANK it!

I don’t think I remember this one :question:

Nice Ian

Snare. :exclamation: :sunglasses: Well, drums in general. :sunglasses: Out of interest, what did you use for the drums? Pehaps you could use that snare sound, or similar, on ‘Save Yourself’?

[quote=“Strophoid”
I’m not a fan of that very last synth tone you use, I find it a bit too grungy compared to the rest of the tune. I’d make it a bit cleaner.[/quote]

I didn’t mind the sound but should it not fade out with the rest of the band or make more of a feature of it by making it even longer? I think maybe some of the harshness Jet is hearing is in the synth sounds, but I could be wrong. :wink:

Cheers

I would say it’s compressed with a little more subtlety and there is more space. It’s a pleasing to listen to with the volume up loud than some of your recent mixes. :sunglasses:

:slight_smile:

I’m not a fan of that very last synth tone you use, I find it a bit too grungy compared to the rest of the tune. I’d make it a bit cleaner.

Sheesh! You’re a tough crowd! :laughing: I know what you mean. It’ll be dealt to in the next mix revisit. :sunglasses: Cheers!

Groovy! :slight_smile:

…and the file sounds…dunno…coarse? Not smooth anyway.

:confused: What the hell does that mean?? :laughing:

Not a bad idea actually… perhaps the whole album when done could benefit from some tape :wink:

:slight_smile:

I don’t think I remember this one

I know, my well realized, commercial sounding songs with strong chorus’s can be SO forgettable! :laughing:

Same as always - Steve Slate. Don’t recall off-hand which particular kit this was. BUT I’m pretty sure I’ve been swapping the same snare on recent songs “snare #13:laughing:

I would say it’s compressed with a little more subtlety and there is more space.

Actually the minimal amount of compression on this is the same as the minimal amount of compression used on all Stragglers tracks posted so far. My approach with regard to compression on all these tunes has been pretty consistent and conservative. What’s interesting for me is with all this recent talk about some of these tracks sounding over-compressed is that with these tunes my use of compression is actually less than pretty much everything I’ve ever posted in the past. It really is quite puzzling. It seems I use less compression overall and for the first time receive suggestions that they’re they’re sounding over-compressed. Now THAT is odd. :confused: All I can conclude really, as mentioned in another Stragglers song thread is if the songs sound compressed then it must be to do with the arrangements…?

Thanks for the feedback! :sunglasses:

Oh no… NOT the dreaded snare #13 :smiling_imp:

And… it’s Friday 13th today. No snare #13 swaps today - that would just be asking for trouble… :smiling_imp:

Yep, and it thundered and poured rain here today. Poifek. :laughing: