The two improvements that will make me upgrade are still in the dark: CPU and HiDPI

First: I will upgrade my Elements license, just to get sidechaining. That little thing is worth it. However, the Pro improvements are for the most part not really interesting. Content and plugins is not at all enticing, and the rest has no bearing on how I work.

However, two things that are mentioned are clear deal-makers: Proper GUI scaling and better CPU performance. But looking through this forum, other forums and FB groups gives no definite answer to:

1. does the scaling work properly (eg. 125 and 150)? [ftr: I can live with the NI issues until they fix them]

and

1. has the CPU usage actually been improved (on Windows)? [I saw Dawbench’ intial test, but it contradicts other reports, which is odd]

A ‘yes’ on one or both = def. upgrade.

j,

I don’t have definitive answers on either :slight_smile:

reports seem that HiDPI is a bit of a mixed bag

I’m not seeing better CPU usage on C11 (win10) - if anything maybe marginally worse ? I’m running at low latency (32samples) so maybe different at different buffers, as the threading performance will differ.

If there is a change it doesn’t seem to be anything major - maybe on Mac ?

Where have you seen the Dawbench results ?

On their FB page. Conclusion: “In short, move along, nothing has changed in any significant manner to the previous behaviour.”

j,

thanks - seems to be what I’m seeing on windows.

18 core processor, had 4 cores disabled for 10.5, tried enabling them in 11, exactly the same, snap crackle and pop, unbelievable.

Is asio guard on?

Tried with and without.

In case it makes a difference, i think sidechaining only works on vst3 plugins that support it.

Just a quick add to this, Asio guard makes no difference when Cubase will not utilise more than 14 physical cores, this is a coded limitation from god knows how long ago, so difficult to remedy, Cubase is the only DAW that has this limitation, there are plenty of threads on these very forums concerning the issue, the only way to get trouble free operation is to limit your CPU in BIOS to either disable cores or disable hyperthreading.

That is a thread when the problem started to become a problem in the mainstream, high core count CPUs were becoming commonplace in custom builds especially for real time grunt, yes clock core counts also, maybe more so, but if you can run a extremely CPU intensive VST instrument with pure clock speed grunt, you can now run 36 instances of it np, using a i9-7980X, you can in every other DAW apart from Cubase, you are limited to 28.

This is important stuff, multicore is the way the silicon is going, if software can’t use it, it’s going to crash and burn.

Here is a thread where it becomes apparent that it is a Cubase problem.

This is my last payment to Stienberg until they fix this, my next upgrade wonga goes on AATranslator, at least I can swap projects between DAW then.

That technical note specifically says it only applies to versions prior to C10. Since C10, AFAIK, the MMCSS 14 logical (not physical) core limit you’re referring to only applies when asio guard is off. That’s why I asked about asio guard. I don’t doubt you’re having a problem, but it might not be the MMCSS issue.

There was a lengthy DAWbench discussion about this, but the upshot was that DAWbench didn’t want to turn on asio guard for their tests, so they considered this to be a problem. OTOH, it would be rare for a typical user to run with asio guard off, so it could be fair to consider this to not be a problem.