"The VST audio connections are not valid."

I always get “The VST audio connections are not valid. Check the VST Audio Connections dialog.” after launch. All connections are valid of course, they work and everything is setup correctly. I have hardware inserts set up tho.
This is on OSX Yosemite and I have to click away two of these warnings and everything continues to work. I cannot get rid of this.

Which version of WaveLab?

9.0.20 before and now with 9.0.25, two RME audio cards, OSX 10.10.5

Does that help if you switch this option off?
2016-07-04_15-56-26.png

It doesn’t matter if ticked or not, it was switched off before anyway. Can’t get rid of this. Two of the same alert boxes I have to click away every time I start WL9Pro.

There are 2 sides to the problem you report.

1. WaveLab should not open the audio driver at startup.
  2. The audio driver does not respond correctly.

To get an idea of what’s going on (for case #1, and maybe #2), I would need some diagnostics.

• Click on the File Tab
  • Now press Alternate and click on the Preferences button
  • Now press Alternate and click on the Global button
  • You can now see a tab called “Diagnostics”, at the right side.
    Enable these check boxes:
  • Allow Logging
  • When Starting
  • Audio Connections

Then quit WaveLab.

Then, to run WaveLab and grab the log, proceed exactly as follows:

1. Open the Mac OSX terminal application
    (found there: /Applications/Utilities/Terminal")

2. Type exactly:
    cd “/Applications/WaveLab 9.app”
    and press Return

3. Type exactly:
    “Contents/MacOS/WaveLab 9”
    and press Return

4. Now, WaveLab should be executed and you will see some text printed in the terminal window. Please copy/paste this information to me, and maybe I can figure out something.

Hi Philippe,

I’m having this problem now after many months of smooth sailing. Have just installed WLP9.5 and the issue with invalid audio connections. Could you please advise with regard to Windows. Any light you can shed would be very much appreciated. A recent error report follows:-

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>

-<WAIT_CHAIN_LIST VERSION=“1.53”>

-<WAIT_CHAIN CROSS_PROC=“false” DEADLOCK=“false”>

<HUNG_HWND> 1302fe </HUNG_HWND>

-

WaveLab9_1_64.exe

5940da94

-

MODULELIST

fbf8c0522bc4d0c7322495ee30c00fdb

fbf8

\ \ -

MODULEOFFSET_SELEXCL

607d882b6b1b278e7f9d64307c740d8e

607d

\ \ -

MODULELIST

fbf8c0522bc4d0c7322495ee30c00fdb

fbf8

\ \ -

MODULEOFFSET_SELEXCL

607d882b6b1b278e7f9d64307c740d8e

607d

\ \ - \ \ -

44c

<PROCESS_NAME>WaveLab9_1_64.exe</PROCESS_NAME>

<WAIT_TIME>0</WAIT_TIME>

<CONTEXT_SWITCHES>4049</CONTEXT_SWITCHES>

</WAIT_THREAD>

-<WAIT_TYPE>

Unknown

</WAIT_TYPE>

-<WAIT_BLOCKINGTHREAD>

<PROCESS_NAME/>

<NODE_ID>0</NODE_ID>

</WAIT_BLOCKINGTHREAD>

-

memory.hdmp

Dump

</WAIT_NODE>

</WAIT_CHAIN>

-

-

WERInternalMetadata.xml

Invalid

\ \ -

AppCompat.txt

Invalid

</WAIT_CHAIN_LIST>

Hi,

I’ve tried activating the WL logging, though after each crash there is no log saved.

[2017/11/12 14:35:45] INFO: [ 0.580 / 4528 I default] WaveLab Pro 9.5.10 (build 17)
[2017/11/12 14:35:45] INFO: [ 0.580 / 4528 I default] Operating System: “Windows 7 SP 1 (6.1) / 6.1.7601”
[2017/11/12 14:35:45] INFO: [ 0.580 / 4528 I default] Crash Report Enabled

Thanks,

Peter

These logs don’t help. Please rather describe the hardware, and what is happening exactly.

Hi Philippe,

My system (Win7 and Scope - Creamware soundcard) has worked fine with wavelab for the last few years. Only recently this error message has appeared, and no way to re-assign soundcard in preferences - as wavelab will crash. Cubase still works fine, and there’s been no software updates for the soundcard over the last five years.

Thanks,

peter

My system (Win7 and Scope - Creamware soundcard) has worked fine with wavelab for the last few years. Only recently this error message has appeared, and no way to re-assign soundcard in preferences - as wavelab will crash. Cubase still works fine, and there’s been no software updates for the soundcard over the last five years.

Erase this folder:
C:\Users[yourname]\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\WaveLab Pro 9.5\Presets\VST Audio Connections

Can you start WaveLab now?

HI Philippe,

Thanks so much - this worked! So grateful. Can you let me know what the issue was - I’m not very computer savvy.

Kind regards,

Peter.

This folder contains a file called “.last” which contains the current settings to use for the audio connection settings. For some reason, these current settings caused your problem. By deleting this automatically-saved file, you restart from scratch.
Various setting types are using the same method.

Thanks very much Philippe.

THANKS!
I got the “The VST audio connections are not valid.” after a Win 10 auto-update. Grrr.
But it works again, thank you so much!

Hi all !
I just installed Wavelab 8.5 today and i have it connected to a Scarlett 18i20 interface. Under VST audio connections under “Playback” it comes up with the surround channels. How do i route those to my headphones? on the dropdown menu it shows no headphone port. On the scarlett mix control it says the headphone 1 is on Line 7 and 8 however in Wavelab when i use the left/right device output to 7/8 it tells me.

“The VST audio connections are not valid. Check the VST Audio Connections dialog.”

Iv tried about every method i can think of trying to get this to work. It works on all my other software like plug in play. never had an issue until wavelab and steinbergs support is not exactly stellar. if anyone has experience with this I could use the help.

wow, all of the discussions made really good addition to this tread.

Hi.

Im having the exact same issue WL 9.0.20 and OSX 10.12.6

Cant seem to find the file you are talking about to delete.

Running metric halo LIO 8

Hi I am having the same issue in OSX?

What is the solution

Cant seem to find the file you are talking about to delete.

You need to make invisible Finder files visible. There are utilities to do so on the Mac.