The Xtouch Wavelap Pro 10 Thread

I am hoping for advice and wishing to share advice on using the X Touch to control Wavelab pro 10.

My main interest with Wavelap is for stereo editing not the montage. Although I do use that. I have been a Wavelab user since version 1.
I love the program, it is simply the best in my view. I was an early believer when others said Sonic Foundry’s Sound Forge was the industry standard. I always said Wavelab was better. Congratulations to Philp for creating it and filling a huge hole by porting it to the Mac. Anyway I digress.

Firstly there are two dialogue pages for setting up the remote device, controller.

The ‘Remote Device’ page allows certain settings to be easily learnt (much easier than with Logic Pro in my opinion) but there are not that many entries.
Better than my previous experience with Cubase Pro though.

I have so far failed to get the master fader assigned to my X-touch master fader. It worked to start with but then the physical fader would go back to zero by it’s self and leave Wavelab master fader where it was. That’s the first thing I would like to achieve.
There is a choice of settings that I don’t understand for what type of control it is that you are trying to adjust, eg continuous controller or otherwise but it is pretty cryptic and the manual has no info.

I have got the transport buttons working. But not the scrub.

There is also a ‘Shortcuts’ page where you can assign midi commands alongside the shortcut functions.
This has more options and works well… I have assigned quick fade and drop marker, cycle/loop and a few other things to the F buttons on the x touch here.
BUT I have not worked out ow to assign movable controls.
For instance i would like to use the X Touch faders for zoom in and out horizontally and vertically …
Scrub with audio …

I would like to hear your success stories and also have this page as a resource.

cheers Jimmy

Sorry to say I have NEVER had any luck with setting up a controller to use with WL. I have had various controllers from a Presonus Fader Port to a Mackie Controller that worked well in other DAWs but did not work well for WL. Best of luck! ( I never used the Xtouch just for your info)

Presonus https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1420743-REG/presonus_faderport_v2_single_fader_usb.html?ap=y&smp=y
Mackie Mackie MCU Pro USB & MIDI Control Surface | Sweetwater

I have now managed to get scroll working at 3 different speeds by clicking one of the Shift / Control / Alt keys.
Global View on my X Touch now = Full Screen View.
The centre Zoom cluster button now bypasses all master section plugins.
Cycle key works.
Marker Key Works.
Fader Bank Arrows move between Markers.
Channel Arrows move between clips in the montage.

1 Like

Just to update this, I am also able to
drop Wavelap into RECORD by pressing the record button on X Touch
PLAY by hitting the play button
and the handy thing is that I can do all of the functions whilst Wavelab is in the background meaning I do not need to swap between apps if I am word processing whilst playing back. For instance when I transcribe songs to text. I am sure that I could do more but I have not been using the studio much due to being overseas.

OK so I am using this config all the time, I’m amazed there is so little interest here as for me it is awesome to have Wavelab in the background but with remote control. I am running it as a stereo recorder to record the output of my desk.
I have now added a few more controls…
Knob 1 = Zoom Audio Level
Knob 2 = Zoom Timeline
Knob 3 = Scroll (Left or Right)on Timeline
Knob 4 = Zoom Audio Level (in Overview Window)
Knob 5 = Zoom Timeline (in Overview Window)
Knob 6 = Scroll (in Overview Window)
However if I press Encoder Assign EQ = Knobs now control the plugin knobs and pushing encoder turns the EQ band on/off
If it helps you please let me know.
Basically X Touch works with Wavelab but limited. However it is really useful as it is remote control and frees the Qwerty keyboard up for foreground apps.

1 Like

Hi, I too have a Xtouch and so far haver gotten all of the transport keys to work in Wavelab including the loop, but am still not able to get the Jog wheel to work or the record button. Do you mind sharing how you got those to map?

Thanks in advance.