THIN Neutral percussion clef (version 3)

Hi,

I searched SMuFL Version 1.18 (2015-05-18) pdf guide for a thin (neutral) percussion clef but I couldn’t find it. See below, the one encircled with a red dashed line:

(Maestro font)

——————————————————————————

(Bravura font)

Would it be possible to add a 3rd version of neutral percussion clef (like in Maestro font ) to SMuFL?
Thanks for taking this into consideration Daniel!

If the SMuFL format does get revised, the thick-thin clef was popular for a while too. I can’t remember if this was a default clef in SCORE or just easily achievable but I do remember seeing this one a lot by publishers using SCORE:

1 Like

A quick solution could be done through: Engrave mode > Music Symbols

The selected || symbol above fit just right of two spaces!

It would be also nice to have an option for adding new element(s) from the list on the left.

2 Likes

Yep, that works pretty well! For future reference if Daniel ever revisits the SMuFL format, I found a PDF I had with the thick-thin clef instead of just a crummy scan. (This looks like SCORE to me as well)

1 Like

Interesting!

Luckily, you can also pick that thick-thin clef from SMuFL, see below:

It also fits Two spaces!

1 Like

Oh cool! I’ve never actually wanted it LOL, just wanted to mention I thought it was missing as I didn’t see it on the Clef page on the SMuFL site. Thanks for finding it!
EDIT: Oops, it was under stylistic alternates. My bad.

1 Like

And that symbol looks actually like a left thick-thin barline. ha! luckily one can manage with it.

So let resume: two percussion clefs could be added to SMuFL, one with two thin vertical lines; the other with a thick-thin vertical lines.

Looking forward to hear from Daniel.

It would be helpful to have some citations for publications that use these variants. We don’t have particularly hard and fast rules for something getting included in SMuFL, but we do try to add only those symbols that are (or have historically been) in reasonably wide usage.

1 Like

Thanks Daniel for your reply. Please have a look at Maestro Character Set here:

https://usermanuals.finalemusic.com/FinaleMac/Content/Finale/font-maestro.htm

A symbol being included in a single font isn’t really sufficient citation for inclusion in SMuFL. I’d be interested to know what publishers, what composers, and what historical periods have tended to use this clef.

2 Likes