Thinking of buying an AXR4U but worried by lack of support and updates

Hi. I’m a Cubase 11/Nuendo user and I recently replaced my ageing MR816x with a UAD Apollo x4. It’s a good interface and works well over TB3 with a Ryzen Win 10 PC but I miss the integration with Cubase the Steinberg interface had and also I like the input options on the AXR4U so I’m thinking of getting rid of the Apollo and buying an AXR4U. Reading the posts here though about niggling problems and looking at the lack of updates for this interface I’m worried that I’ll be buying an expensive piece of hardware with little support and potentially something that will be abandoned for a newer model. When you compare the support RME interfaces get it’s quite shocking especially considering the price. I’m sure I can’t be the only person thinking this. What do people think? Is it a mistake to buy one of these at this point? Thanks. Rob

2 Likes

There is very little support for this product and it does feel like there is a strong possibility that it will be abandoned.

It is a good product and integrates nicely with Steinberg software but very expensive for one that has such poor support.

2 Likes

Thaks for the reply. I do think it’s telling that there haven’t been any other replys. I’m guessing there will be an update at some point which will hopefully fix the main problems but products really do need proper support, it isn’t just features that justify an investment. I’m going to hold out on my purchase for now.

1 Like

To be completely honest I was like you and I held off, and then my existing interface died so my hand was forced to get something. Im a big fan of Dom Sigalas and Chris Selim and they had great things to say about the unit. So I bit the bullet and got the AXR4U. To say Ive been blown away by it is an understatement. The unit combined with Cubase 11 has been rock solid.

Yes the fact the isnt much happening on the update front could be concerning but it could also be a case of it just works. ( this is just my opinion and my experience, others may have had a different one).

Anyway good luck on the interface journey…often a long one :joy:

1 Like

Support for the unit is nonexistent. They do not care about the needs of the current userbase and have moved on to other things.

All working perfectly here. A few very minor quibbles - such as having to assign a pair of outputs in Audio Connections to get the AXR4 to show in the Inspector, and it would be nice if the DSPMixFX software got the latest update that the UR versions did - but apart from that, the unit has been working rock solid, sounds stellar, and integrates fantastically with Cubase. I’m not gonna be twiddling my thumbs waiting for any updates - this should serve me well for the next 10 years, updates or not!

yes, more or less same situation here. Those ‘quirks’ really need to be ironed out but the unit sounds so great and the drivers are rock solid I can’t really complain.

I really think you’re going to have to spend a LOT more money to get anything sounding as good or better.

M

How do you record inside cubase 11 - lets say a soft synth ? How do you get loopback to work without going da/ad outside the box via line out and inputs ?

a soft(VSTI) synth is recorded as a virtual instrument (Midi) then bounced to audio, there’ s no need for any loopback?

M

Render in place mate

And that means ?

Yeah… have done that for 16 years on my RME… so I know… but not possible in my STEINBERG dspmix… big sigh…

If you right click on the midi event of your softsynth track and select “Render In Place”, it bounces the midi down to audio and creates an audio track

Like “Freeze” ?

No. Like Export.

what Steve said :+1: