System Setup: Windows 10.
Apps that Run in the Background: Spotify, Microsoft Edge and Brave. Microsoft edge is my PDF-viewer, and that’s what I use it for, so I can keep pdfs of my “melody line” and “Part Arrangements” of pieces I am working on. I do not use it for internet.
Brave: I have Youtube Videos, Gmail, Facebook, Google Docs etc. on the side-line for when I decide I need leisure time.
Spotify: Usually just runs because it opens on start up and I keep it there.
Other apps that run would be sticky notes, and sometimes file-explorer.
Before the update today, I was able to use Dorico Just fine with all of that in the side. I use a gaming laptop, so my computer is used to handling all the performance-demanding tasks.
I still do not have 3.5, but the version right before it. I intend to upgrade soon.
Problem: When I am working on a project, for the first playthrough or 2, everything works fine, and sounds normal. However, when I try to input notes, the playback pitch is always “distorted” and sounds like a delayed slow-motion machine gun if that makes sense. When I try to play everything back, it plays back distorted and slowly (imagine hearing static that tries to sound like your project), which gives me a headache. Dorico is the only thing affected. I am still able to watch youtube videos and go on spotify even when Dorico’s playback is extremely distorted.
When it started: Today, Windows told me there was a new major update to the system, which I installed (when my computer’s behind on updates, then its usb ports start malfunctioning for some reason). After I tried using Dorico, it prompted me to reenter an activation key, but after repairing the E-Lisencer, Dorico worked fine, except for the playback issue.
It was recommended while using NotePerformer to switch the Dorico Mixer Inserts to Maximizer at 40 Modern Style to make it sound better, instead of compressor, which was designed for a single instrument. I did that, but the document where the problems started was still on Compressor. Switching it to Maximizer did not solve the problem.
The Update is the May 2020 Update or “2004” Version, not the November 2019 version.
What I have tried:
(1) Restarting Dorico - That does not work
(2) Repairing my computer’s Audio Drive - That did not work, and often causes zilch playback at Dorico
(3) Reinstalling NotePerformer - Did not work
(4) Switching from NotePerformer to HALlion - Did not work, and I got the same distorted sound.
(5) Restarting my computer - Did not work
(6) Messing with Buffer speeds in Device Set up - Did not work
(7) Trying the AISO4all driver recommended in a previous post (a forum I posted about Dorico Cutting out randomly on my old laptop) - Did not work, and only made playback impossible so I uninstalled it.
(8) Resetting NotePerformer’s mixers and channels in Dorico - That also did not work
(9) Checking every mixer to see if anything looked out-of-whack - Everything looked normal
I have tried absolutely everything that comes to mind except buy an External Audio Interphase which Mr. Daniel Spreadbury recommended in an earlier forum post about Dorico’s playback cutting out on my old laptop. I want to avoid going that route, because I still have to upgrade to Dorico 3.5, and Audio Interphases cost a lot of money.