Three Dog Night - The 1st Boy Band?

I’ve been revisiting Three Dog Night lately, and it occurred to me after reading/learning that they didn’t actually write most of their songs, and went up there together fronting the back round band, just like our current “Boy Bands” do! :astonished:

Boy bands wasn’t even a term as far as I know back then, but if they were around today, I’m sure they’d be considered as one…or is that a ‘man band’ actually …? Either way, this may be the only Boy Band in history that I actually liked, and still like :slight_smile:

They had some very cool songs, my favorite’s are Three Dog Nights covers of, Daniel Moore’s “Shambala” & Randy Newman’s “Mama Told Me Not to Come”. Not sure which songs they actually wrote though…all of the songs I’m familiar with weren’t.

And weren’t these groovy clothes :laughing:

Aloha S, Kool insight.

As far as the band name:

The story I read/heard was about when the native peoples of the north (Eskimos)
were out hunting/traveling and had to sleep overnight.

If it was cold night they would sleep next to one of their dogs.
On really colds nights they would sleep with two dogs. A ‘Two Dog Night’.

No one ever really slept with 3 dogs. Hence the name.

True? Dunno.

Wait! Gotta go!

Eli’s comin’!
{‘-’}

Really…??? I knew they went by another name at 1st, but haven’t heard that story :slight_smile:

Wouldn’t it be fun to be a Three Dog Night Tribute Band … hmmm…who would I be? Who do I look MOST like? The drummer? Naw! :laughing: I could put on a wig and a big mustahe, naw too itchy! :mrgreen:

Which got me to thinking about 50’s groups like the Platters, etc.
They were a singing group (that did not play instruments).
How about those Motown groups? Tempations etc.
For that matter, could the The Righteous Brothers’ be considered a boy band?

Seems there is very little in music that is really ‘new’.
{‘-’}

Wow, now you’ve got me there…I’ve never thought about all those old acts as being ‘boy bands’. You know, being an ‘alternate’ life style black man >>> :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: <<< I’ve always loved the Motown sound…(no I really DO love Motown) But how did the rest of the world think of a row of crooners fronting actual musician’s back then? The Boy Band thing in this day & age…well, it’s seen as…how shall we say …an ‘alternate’ lifestyle choice in life pardners fulfilling their wazoo’s :laughing:

With all the hoopla about Jersey Boys, Frankie Valli and the 4 seasons, they certainly qualify as a boy band. And I’m sure hearts were a flutter and a swooning over a theoretical Barbershop quartet the preceeded them.

Ah yes, I see it, Boy Bands may have actually been around since the dawn of man kinds music!

Recently discovered …the body of such a prehistoric member

Some day…

:mrgreen: