Thumbnail images missing in Library Manager

For some unknown reason this issue is only affecting Cubase sound content as you can see in my picture. I have never experienced this before reinstalling my sound content. I am completely confused why some libraries are greyed out with a generic icon. The content is installed. I have tried reinstalling one to see if it resolves the issue, but no joy.

Has anybody else experienced this?

I’m having the same problem after clean install of win11. I previously also was using win11 without this problem. From various searches in web i found that it might have something to do with WEBP extension but i haven’t found a solution yet. Let me know if you find one!

That is rather strange. I had to install Cubase from the ground up again, which fixed the problem. Not sure how that happened after a clean install on Win though.

I had to reinstall the content also to be sure, though I imagine it was some part of metadata in a file or few folders which I was just unable to identify. I am still interested to know though as this is an annoying issue. Let us know how you get on.

Hi I’ve got the same problem - did you ever get any response on how to fix this other than a full reinstall?

I didn’t find another solution unfortunately. Was some time back now, but I combed all of the threads on here to no avail. I recently updated my Halion SE content, which is the only thumbnail I have that doesn’t seem to have a colour image. Not sure if this is intended or not. I would advise a clean install, only make sure you backup and memorise locations of any user presets or third party content etc. Hope you find a resolution on your side.

Hi Diam
Thanks very much for getting back to me. After some investigation it seems like the icons are held in srf files in C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Steinberg Library Manager\skins directory. I’ve tried various different versions of the Steinberg Library installer and got different icon results from each. I’ve raised the issue with Steinberg support now so if I get a response from them I’ll let you know.

Thanks. I am on Mac OS, so the file/folder structure may be slightly different. Nevertheless, please do feed back if you find a solution.

Hi Diam
Jan from Steinberg did a remote session to trace the issue on my PC. The issue was with a couple of misplaced content files. Not sure how things got moved, but in essence you can use the Steinberg Library manager to place your content on a different drive from default, which is what I do. The LM sets up “shortcut” files in the original default location as a pointer to the new location drive. However, there are a couple of files with “content” in their name that should remain in the default location (on a PC this is C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound); somehow these files got moved and replaced with shortcuts along with all my vst sound content files. Using the shortcut files to locate the erroneously moved “content” files and then move them back to C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound fixed the issue. As I said I moved my content with the Steinberg Library Manager and all my content icons displayed fine right up to the last LM update. so no idea why these files should have moved. Whatever, it’s all good now. Hopefully the concept will translate to something similar for Mac users.

Glad you found a resolution. My Cubase 12 install is all neatly organised at present, so I am good for now. If and when I choose to upgrade to 13, I hope I will not encounter too many issues. Honestly though, I think I will wait for 14 as the new version didn’t seem necessary for me. We will see when the upgrade sales arrive. Thanks for the feedback.

I am having similar problems with missing thumbnails. In addition I have content I am installing that is not appearing. There seems to be no correlation between the two: some content is missing images, some content, some both, and some neither.

I am installing files on a separate D: drive. Many files are fine with being on another drive, however, many are not. Switching between C: and D: drives - to the best of my knowledge - does not seem to help. I will attach two images for examples of my problem.

Image 1: Example of sporadic thumbnail absence.
Image 2: Example of [Soulful RnB Vocals] missing all content (Contains thumbnail.)

Hi Gromoggoy

I raised an issue with Steinberg. Jan did a remote session to trace the issue on my PC. The issue was with a couple of misplaced content files. Not sure how things got moved, but in essence you can use the Steinberg Library manager to place your content on a different drive from default, which is what I do. The LM sets up “shortcut” files in the original default location as a pointer to the new location drive.
However, there are a couple of files with “content” in their name that should remain in the default location (on a PC this is C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound); somehow these files got moved and replaced with shortcuts along with some of my vst sound content files. Using the shortcut files to locate the erroneously moved “content” files and then move them back to C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound fixed the issue.
I moved my content with the Steinberg Library Manager and all my content icons displayed fine right up to the last LM update. so no idea why these files should have moved. Whatever, it’s all good now. Hopefully the concept will translate to something similar for Mac users.
Failing that, have you looked at the Activation Manager to ensure your content has been migrated to Steinberg Licensing - I’ve been told that can also cause a problem for migrated products.
Check your Library manager is the latest versio.
Hope this helps, good luck