Tie curve direction

I’m not sure if I have the wrong Dorico settings but I get

This is how Sibelius does it, which I think looks better, at least the A in LH, bar 1.

Anyone more skilled than me that can inform me if I have incorrect Dorico settings, or if Dorico is correct and Sibelius wrong?

TIA.

One can select a tie in Engrave mode and press F to flip it.

Yes, but I want to rely on that Dorico is doing it the correct way by default. That’s the entire point of the rigid set of rules of Dorico and Seinberg’s ‘USP’ as I understand it, that the user should not be concerned with the many rules etc. Software that requires user correction for the most basic things has a bug IMO.

Perhaps someone that has some other pro notation software could comment on how it would render the above by default. I don’t use Amadeus any longer so I cannot test. From what I recall I believe it would do the same as Sibelius.

Are there any other voices in the first bar (or second bar) in the LH? The context might matter, and I’m not sure you’ve given a screenshot of the entire bars. That tied A looks wrong to me, but if there’s another lower voice then Dorico may be tieing upwards to reduce ambiguity.

There’s definitely an Engraving Option for ties to curve away from the mid line of the staff, and it’s certainly my default.

Edit: actually, it may just be that Dorico’s confused about the top note of that chord not being tied. Might be a case of flipping it manually.

This is the full system

I have this setting

Changing it to the other settings does not change anything and reducing the music does not change anything;

Even the ‘reverse’ is wrong;

The d4. tie in m.3 also seem incorrect to me.

I think Dorico is confused in many ways regarding ties, especially when it is chords. The tie algorithm seems to need revision IMO.

Oddly, this piece has a lot of tie errors that Dorico cannot handle by default. Usually, Dorico performs pretty well, but in this piece, it is too many errors.

I copied that passage in a Dorico file of my own, thinking that it might come out differently and reveal that you had something set amiss – but no, it looks exactly like yours, and I agree that the upward curve of that first bass clef tie looks wrong. Clearly Dorico is willing to let ties curve toward a beam beyond it, because that happens (even “inside” a beam) in m. 2; but it’s not made to happen here. I can’t explain it.

The tie on D in m. 3 (l.h.) looks right to me, though. It clarifies the distinction between the two ties in that bar.

1 Like