Tie notes between different voices ?

For many reason I need (or would like) «tie» the same note which is in different voice !

So,
is there any obvious way to accomplish that ?

Merci

Select the first notehead. Hold down the Ctrl/Cmd key on your keyboard. Select the second notehead. Release the Ctrl/Cmd key. Hit T (for tie).

Pianoleo,

Great…
Is it in the «Operation Manual» ?

Thanks a lot.

Alain

Yes, it is: in the updated PDF it’s on page 642.

This procedure for tying notes between voices isn’t working form me. Has something changed in 3.5.12? I’m trying to tie these two notes between V1 and V2:
Screen Shot 2021-02-28 at 9.27.54 AM

I can fake it with a laisser vibrer tie (adjusted for length in E-mode), but that will probably need readjustment as note spacing fluctuates down the road.

Are they the same pitch?

Regardless of whether they’re the same pitch, it would be nonsensical to put a tie there. The downstem voice is still sounding while the upstem voice is starting (unless there’s some sort of tuplet that we can’t see in the screenshot).

they are the same pitch

what ever is required by the client, is what is needed.

1 Like

Don’t take offense of this, but are you sure they are exactly the same pitch? If so, it simply should work, every time.

Yes, I’m sure. As a clue, the accidental is not repeated for the eighth note in V1, otherwise I would see this: Screen Shot 2021-02-28 at 9.39.28 AM

Oh, I think I know the reason. It’s because the second note begins before the previous note ends, so I bet Dorico doesn’t know what to do with that. Since it treats ties as a single note.

I think I said that 10 minutes ago…

You could work around it by putting the bottom note in a 2:1 tuplet, then hiding said tuplet, but it’s nonsense notation.

You said it didn’t make sense, and I agree. My point was that it might actually be impossible to achieve in Dorico here.

You could always make it a slur. Close enough.

The slur might work better here, thanks Dan.

The other option is to made the down stem voice two eighths tied together. Then the 8th note heads might combine automatically (presuming the correct notation options are enabled.)

I’m a firm believer in the idea that the client is NOT always right. Lol.

1 Like

well, to be fair to my client they’re preparing a notation book showing good practice along with bad practice.

1 Like