Tie over repeat bar in Dorico

Hi,
is it possible to create ties over repeat bars (like on this screenshot)?

normally it works pushing the ā€˜Sā€™ -key
but that doesnā€™t make sence.

Donā€™t think itā€™s possible without a workaround.

This might help:

and just adjust position of the slur/tie at the end of your 1st time bar

if you mean a Tie from bar 1 to bar 3, than move the f in bar number two
(the first repeat-ending) up or down, dann push the T key.
after that, you can move the F in bar number two back again,
and make again a Tie from bar 1.
Thatā€™s my workaround without Lasisser-vibrer and you donā€™t hear the tone twice.

Thank you,
with your tip, I managed to do this even if it takes a little time.
Besides, Iā€™m not sure that in musical notation, the first tie (on the first C) is necessary.
Do you know the rules in this case?

Iā€™m not sure that I understand you completely.

To be honest, if your image shows the very beginning of the piece, I wouldnā€™t be using repeats. Iā€™d just write the four bars out completely and save the hassle!

Perhaps you are required to have it as you do for a reason, though? In this case, Iā€™m not sure sorry. Although I will say, the ā€œtieā€ on beat four of the first time bar looks like a slur and not a tie. Maybe another l.v. would look better?

Please donā€™t call this a ā€œslurā€. It is a tie. They have completely different functions.

Regarding this ā€¦

(Can someone edit the thread title? Iā€™ve lost my Trust Level 3 for some reason.)

As a tie, it should not be angled, even when split across a system break or repeat structure. The two halves should both be horizontal, otherwise (as said above) it looks like a slur. The tie into the 2nd ending is better.

The tie out of the 1st ending is necessary, but if it is going back to the beginning, then the tie at the very beginning should be in parentheses.

Thank you for this precision, excuse me, my English is very bad.
In French ā€œtieā€ or ā€œslurā€ is the same word : ā€œliaisonā€

1 Like

Yes itā€™s true in classical music we donā€™t use repeat bar at the beginning but in Jazz itā€™s often the case, however, Iā€™m not sure that the tie is necessary at the beginning.

We need to distinguish ā€œliaison de phrasĆ©ā€ (slur) and ā€œliaison de prolongationā€ (tie). I find this lack of precision problematic in our beloved French languageā€¦

4 Likes

I believe the mini, uncompleted tie on a final note of a repeated section isnā€™t optional in standard notation and should be as easy to place (without work-around) as any other tie.
Furthermore, there should be a way to effect a continuation of the tie-sustain for playback, as otherwise a jarring silence occurs, which isnā€™t pretty, and I KNOW Dorico is all about ā€œprettyā€ :wink:
I hope this is an issue that will be addressed in an upcoming update.

Still looking for that simple mini-tie across repeats as well as a playback solution. Any progress on this?
Much appreciated.
Perhaps an audio example would help:
Wrong #.dorico.zip (1.1 MB)

The feature request is well understood by the Team, and this has been requested many times over the years. If it had been done we certainly would have heard about it, at least in the Version History (though such an improvement would probably warrant trumpeting in the blog as well).

3 Likes

I would even learn the trumpet just so I could trumpet this feature to all.

1 Like

I canā€™t wait to hear Anthony Hughesā€™ (@Anthony_at_Steinberg) dulcet tone announcing ā€¦ ā€œAnd another new feature of Dorico 5.xxx is the long-awaited ability to tie notes and chords over repeat bars, which will now also play back correctly. Iā€™m sure that our friends on the Jazz side of the house will be particularly excited so see this improvement.ā€

8 Likes