Tie to a note in another location....

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I could not find anything.

Does Dorico support a tie at the end of a repeat that indicates connection back to a note in the repeated section. Not sure of terminology, but I would call it a “dangling” tie similar to a laissez vibrer?

In the image below, I’d like a tie on the D:

Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 10.37.49 PM.png

I’m pretty sure you have to fake this for the time being. You can e.g. use text (shift-x) and copy/paste the finger substitution thingies from here: https://w3c.github.io/smufl/gitbook/tables/fingering.html. (they are the closest resemblance to small ties that I have found.) Change the font to Bravura text and finetune the placement in Engrave mode.

Hi Fratveno, that’s a great workaround idea! thanks, Kevin

For this case, where the tie only applies on the first time through, I would parenthesise it too.

Good point Ian, but it will eventually be a 1st ending, once Dorico has this functionality. I appreciate your advice, though - I’ve not seen this personally but think it’s a great idea to avoid ambiguity. I am learning a lot from the camaraderie and skill set everyone brings to this forum!!!

Hi guys, sorry to resurrect this thread, but I’m a little confused on how to do what fratveno recommends.

I want to have a tie for a note not attached to any following note. A common indication in modern notation for say, a lone drone that is supposed to just ring as long as possible. (see: first measure of Arvo Part’s Fur Alina)

In Sibelius you just pressed the keystroke for tie and it was there attached to the note. In Dorico, are ties militantly attached to notes?

Thanks for any help. Still trying to improve my Dorico skills, I want to love it, I’m trying really hard, but some common things seem to be missing, or are unreasonably hard to get to. I’m sure the team is working hard though, and I have faith this will turn into THE notation software.

Yes, l.v. ties, and a few other things, aren’t yet available in Dorico, so for the time being one has to attach such symbols to notes as pure text (shift-x) The hunt is to find the proper symbols to attach, and the best solution I could find is the one outlined above… you have to attach them in Write mode and finetune their placement in Engrave mode