Ties are too short!

Hi,
I can’t get my ties “obbey” the minimum length setting:

In this example there are no spacing changes nor system breaks. Is there any other setting that can cause this?

Thank you in advance!
Xavier.

PD: D4 v. 4.3.11.1117

1 Like

How full is the system, horizonatally speaking?

In this case 94.5, but it happens also when I force less bars per system as here:

Thanks!

1 Like

Even though the first tie in each tie chain does not obey the minimum length for ties between notes, you can widen these ties by using note spacing changes:

The first and third note spacing changes alter the minimum space for short notes to 3 spaces, and the second one resets this property so the sixteenth notes in the middle measure have the usual distance between them.

1 Like

Why bother with note spacing changes? Just nudge them in note spacing mode.

I wonder if the op’s issue has anything to due with the tuplets.

1 Like

Those aren’t ties between notes. That setting is specifically for ties that are to the right and left of noteheads rather than outside of them. I’m not in front of Dorico right now but there’ll be a different setting that applies to ties that are at the corners/under/above noteheads.

3 Likes

I think Leo has the key here: it looks like “ties between notes” in this context refers specifically to ties that draw from the right-hand edge of the notehead to the left-hand edge of the notehead. That’s by comparison to ties that draw above/below the notehead, per these rules:

However, in fact there isn’t a minimum length setting for ties above/below the notehead. I suspect we had assumed you wouldn’t need one, because the width of the noteheads themselves would be sufficient. However, are you using the option for ties to draw “At edges of noteheads”? That may be the issue here.

3 Likes

If the setting “Minimum length for ties between notes” only applies to ties that are between noteheads and not above or below them, then why does changing this setting from the factory default to 12 spaces turn this …

Image1

… into this?

Image2

1 Like

This is because of the presence of the barline. We want to ensure that the minimum tie length is respected at the ends of systems, but for technical reasons Dorico doesn’t know at the time that the extra space is calculated whether any given barline is going to end up at the end of a system or not. As a result the minimum space actually gets imposed more often than it needs to be - for realistic values of the Engraving Options this isn’t an issue, because typically there’s extra space around mid-system barlines in any case. (Our ref: STEAM-2546.)

3 Likes

Thank you, John! In my case this is not a good option as the score is full of these rhythms.

Yeah! I’ve changed to “ties between noteheads” and now it keeps the minimum space. Thanks! (also to @pianoleo!)
In any case I think it should be a way to control the minimum space for ties above noteheads (maybe the same setting could apply for both??).

1 Like

Thank you, @Romanos! Changing them manually would be a lot of work (I have a lot of them!). I think it is not tuplet-realted, in the example there is case without a tuplet involved.

You can multi-select to nudge multiple at a time. At any rate, it wouldn’t take any longer than note spacing changes… but there’s no doubt dorico needs to account for this.

1 Like