Ties over repeat ending bars

No one in their right mind would suggest that you’ve been idle and I was certainly very pleased with some of these developments.

The problem is there are some very basic things that are a nuisance nearly every day, that are apparently low priority:

No dashed crescendo
Arpeggio lines far too close to accidentals
Pedal marks not aligned
Some terrible slurs (particularly cross-staff)
No engraving option to hide all tuplet brackets
Widowed bars on the last page (obviously dealing with this will be a big task)
No beaming to lyrics…

Although one has manual control over some of these things it’s still a problem if one for example, has to produce copies of songs in more than one key.

If I’m missing anything I’d be delighted to be corrected.

I’m not saying these are simple things to deal with but they’re not arcane matters and I’m usually dealing with mainstream notation (today was Strauss Lieder).

Certainly most of these things are on our radar and we do plan to address them. Could you say more about your requirements with regard to dashed crescendos? I assume you mean dashed hairpins specifically? Or are you talking about the display of text-based dynamics where the line between the text components should be baseline-aligned rather than positioned like a hyphen? Or something else?

As for tuplets, it’s a bit mad, but you can set the following in the Repeated Tuplets section of the Tuplets page of Engraving Options:

2 Likes

There are a bunch of Engraving Options governing these. It’s easy to switch to dashed if that’s what you prefer.

It is very simple to make a selection and filter for tuplets. You can then apply any of the tuplet properties to that selection.

It is but I’d suggest it’s not good practice.

Well, I’d suggest otherwise. Let’s agree to differ.

And no one has yet mentioned the effects of a global pandemic.

Back in January, in a discussion of incremental updates, Daniel said,

… and it occurred to me that perhaps one major motivation for releasing a version 3.5 in May 2020 was uncertainty about which of us might still be alive in another year!

You’d do that if you were editing a collection of pieces or songs? Isn’t that risky?

Ye gods! How did I miss this? Lots of dark grey on darker grey but even so.

Thanks for this.

1 Like

Apologies: apropos the crescendos, I’d managed to miss engraving options that will do what I need. FredGUnn pointed me in the right direction but even then it was quite easy to miss the right settings.

Unfortunately the tuplets trick seems to mean the ratio is hidden as well but I’m sure it will come in handy sometime.

Thanks.

So with the tuplets, you want to hide the bracket under all circumstances, but not the number/ratio? Please spell out for me in a little more detail what end result you’re after so I can be sure I’m understanding your requirements.

I’m glad you’re able to achieve the look you want for your gradual dynamics with the options already provided.

I find the factory default of 1/8 for Engraving Options/Accidentals/Gaps/Gap to Left too small. That setting is mostly to prevent an accidental from appearing closer to the previous note than the note it’s modifying, but it has an effect on arpeggio lines too. Maybe try 1/4 or 3/8 and see if you like the look better.

Where’s the risk? I use the selection filter frequently, others prefer to use the select an item and select more approach.

1 Like