Ties to chords

If I enter a note, activate the tie and then enter a chord where one of the the notes is the tied note, the notehead of the tied note appears twice. Both noteheads are assigned to the same voice.

Apologies if I’m going the wrong way about entering ties …
Tied note.png

I see what you mean. If you enter the first measure and then press T for a tie before entering the chord in the next measure, you get the double F (assuming bass clef). Adding the tie after entering all the notes gives a satisfactory result, but presumably the double note is an unexpected aberration.

ties.png

Exactly.

While you were answering, I tried it out (and changed my post above). I also found that were one to make the initial F a dotted half (which Dorico would split over the bar line), when one then typed the chord, the tie disappeared and the chord appeared with only one F, but one had to add the tie back in.

I first came across this after Dorico 3 was launched. I’ve just checked and it doesn’t happen in Dorico 2.

ETA: Also, if you tie a note to a chord, Dorico will hunt back through the score to find the last use of that note and tie to that, even though it’s clearly not a tie. I’m not explaining that very well but hopefully the example shows what I mean.
Tied Notes 2.png

I can’t reproduce this problem, which I’m sure is just because I’m missing a step. Can you write out the steps required to reproduce the problem? For example, here’s what I’m doing:

1. Start a new project based on the ‘Piano solo’ template.
  2. Add a 2/4 time signature at the start of the flow.
  3. Start note input at the start of the first bar in the RH staff.
  4. Type 7 to set the note input duration to a half note (minim).
  5. Type A to input an A.
  6. Type T for the tie.
  7. Type Q for chord mode.
  8. Type A followed by D to input a chord in the second bar.

For me, I get the expected result, i.e. a single notehead for the A and the E.

Daniel, you need a midi keyboard to reproduce this, without quord mode e.g.

1. start note input
  2. Type 6.
  3. Play note.
  4. Hit T.
  5. Play previous note simultaneously with additional note.

Thanks, Leo, now I can reproduce the problem. We’ll take care of this.

Thanks Daniel and thanks Leo.