Time signature change in dorico

is it possible to change the time-signature of one bar only, without the subsequent bars all being changed and all of the notes - as it were - sliding to left or right?

Welcome to the forum, Steve.

There are a few guiding principles here:

• Dorico will only rebar as far as the next explicit time signature.
  • Changing time signatures is non-destructive.
  • Dorico won’t automatically add or remove time mid-flow.

For instance, if you have four bars, all in 3/4, and you decide you’d like bar 2 to be 4/4, with everything subsequent shunted a beat to the right, you’d need to do something like this:

1. Put a 3/4 time signature at the start of bar 3. Anything to the right of this will now remain untouched.
  2. Turn on Insert mode (hit I or click the insertion cursor in the left panel). This gives Dorico permission to add beats mid-flow.
  3. Add a 4/4 time signature at the beginning of bar 2.

If you forget to turn on Insert mode, you’ll find yourself with a bar that says 4/4 but is actually only three beats long. There are a couple of ways of rectifying this: you can select where you want the extra beat, then type Shift-B 1q Enter (Shift-B is the bars and barlines popover; q is short for quarter/crotchet)

…or you could switch on Insert mode and re-enter that time signature (which can actually be achieved just by selecting the existing 4/4 time signature, hitting Enter, then hitting Enter again).

If you wanted a shorter bar in the middle - a 5/8, for instance - the same principles apply, and you’ll find that Dorico won’t automatically delete music.

With Insert mode turned off, notice how Dorico truncates the bar to 5/8 automatically, but shunts the leftover quaver/eighth to a new short bar. You can then use the System Track to delete that bar (or Shift-B -1 Enter - if there’s no letter after the number, Dorico will add or remove entire bars).

5 Likes

crumbs thanks for such a detailed response. I’ll take some time to read now. I’ve been using Finale for 20 something years and have just made the dorico switch.

1 Like

Hello dears,

Please tell me there’s a better way to change time signature and add rests/rebar music accordingly. This is so counterproductive if say I need to do that for so many bars! I used to do that in Finale by simply right click and choose the new time signature, for how many bars or until which bar and done!

@Mina_Botros , welcome.
There are various ways to change time signatures depending on the context. To change a time signature for the rest of the piece is fairly simple: just enter the new time signature and the music will flow into measures of the specified length. Additional time-signature changes can be added later in the music to change back or to introduce a different time signature.

The more complex situation is when one wants to change a measure or measures prior to an existing time signature. Dorico could interpret that in various ways…

1. To simply flow the music into and through the new and subsequent existing time signatures. (using Insert mode)
  2. To alter just the measures in the new signature, which requires one to add (or subtract) beats (SHIFT + B) to tell the changed measure how to comply.

Learning how to deal with these very flexible but unfamiliar scenarios can present a challenge at first.