Time Warp question re: changing prev. tempi.

Hi all,
Two Warp Tempo Questions.
1.I free recorded a cue to picture. I then went in and used the warp tool in the project window to adjust the tempo of the piece. The cue had two tempi. 60 at the begining of the piece and about 90bpm four bars in. After watching the movie with the director, he wants the cue to start with the faster section. He wants me to keep what I already have later on, just add something to the top at roughly the same tempo as the b-section (90ish). I’m not sure the best way to get the correct tempo at the beginning of the piece without changing the position of the following music.

So far the only thing I can think of is to lock the all the midi tracks, change the tempo and then redo the warp. Is this the only solution and if it is, is there a PLE setting that will allow me to do that?

2. I free recorded a piece to picture. It doesn’t start at the top of the sequence. I go into warp and adjust the tempo so that everything is on a beat. However, because I’m going to Orch, I need a 4 beat countoff in the same tempo that the start of the piece is in. However, in order to get the music on the correct beat, the time warp adjusted the tempo before the start of the piece. I would just start the warp a ‘bar’ early, but I don’t know what that tempo will be until after I do the warp and determine the tempo of the first measure.

B

Hi,

1. Why you don’t use the Tempo Detection function to detect the tempo? Doesn’t it work to you? Regarding to the count off, would the manual tempo tapping work?

As much as I like the detect tempo, I find I end up doing a lot of clean up with it anyway, so I just do it myself.

The count off is a weird issue because in order to get the first note on a downbeat, the warp tool (or autodetect) uses the silence before the note as a buffer of sorts. It’d be great if there was a setting that allowed the warp tool to calculate the count off based on the first measure, but I’m not sure how easy that would be to implement.

The easiest solution I’ve found for the countoff is that once I have a stable tempo for the first fews measures, I create locator points at the start of the new tempo and ‘add time’ and then I extend my video and dialogue tracks backwards.

If you put the track in linear timebase first, I’m guessing the position in time of the following will be unaltered as you increase the tempo of the earlier portion? (Though the starting bar# of the later portion will increase)?

Alternatively work the new version of the earlier section in a 2nd version of the project, then drag it to the original project.

Not sure I understand your requirements, but I’ll make another stab: record five metronome hits on the beat in the first bar of music (or use a drum VSTi, etc), render it to audio, then drag it back a bit so the fifth hit lands on the first beat of music.

Following, would be interested to hear what the best answer will be!

Alexis,

Thanks for those pointers. I haven’t thought to put everything in time base, adjust the earlier tempi and put it in musical and readjust the grid again…I guess that will remove and work I had already done. But at least it works.

My issue with the count off isn’t about being able to record one, but rather an issue with the tempo track. In order for cubase to create a warp point at the first note of my piece, it adjusts the tempo of the silence before it. However, if I need a countoff in the same tempo as my piece, any adjustment I make to the tempo track before the first warp point affects where the rest of my piece falls. Does that make sense?

My solution so far (to both problems), has been to set a tempo for the first few bars of the piece. Then I do a global insert (insert time) at bar 1 of xxx measures. This guarantees that I’ve inserted things at the correct tempo. Of course there’s a gaping hole in the movie at this point. So…I just erase the movie section before the cut and then extend the movie and dialogue backwards (left) to fill the gap I just made. Voila. I have extra bars at the top of the piece.

Of course this isn’t the most elegant solution to the problem but its the only way I see…at this point.