Timing corrections on Cubase Elements 9. Help needed!

Hi guys and girls.
I have recently made the change from Ableton Live to Cubase Elements and I am slowly but surely getting to grips with it.
First impressions are excellent.
There is one thing that I seem unable to do and I have scoured the internet looking for an answer for weeks but no luck!

Lets say I recorded a piece of audio ( 5 notes ). Note number 2 is slightly ahead of the beat and number 3 slightly behind. In Ableton I could put warp markers on all 5 notes and manually move the poorly timed noted to where i wanted them to be. The notes either side of the note I moved were held in position by the warp marker.

Am I able to do this on Cubase Elements 9 in any way? I have tried quantise but that doesnt seem to have the desired effect.
At the moment I am recording in Cubase and tranferring the file to Ableton for timing adjustments then back into Cubase!
I know i am probably missing something obvious! Any help would be greatly accepted!
Thanks all

According to this Compare the Versions of Cubase | Steinberg you can’t do this in Elements. You can manually slice and position the notes, though, just like some still prefer to do. :slight_smile:

Thanks Crotchety.
Ah…well that at least explains why I wasn’t able to find a way to do it!!
Much appreciated. I guess I will need to experiment with the beat slicing method. In reality , that will probably work well for me. I appreciate your answer. Thanks man.

You’re welcome :smiley:

Warping isn’t always all it’s cracked up to be. Some material doesn’t respond well - strummed guitars always end up sounding like they’re coming though a flanger for me, although more monophonic sources do fine. Stretched tails can sound unnatural. Snipping produces gaps, but if you pick your edit point carefully you can close them up (if necessary) with a judicious cross-fade and the end result will sound as natural as you’re going to get. It all depends on the material…

Further to Crotchety’s suggestions, clever use of reverb can also help close up those gaps.

I agree that warping doesn’t work that well for this function anyway with complex sound source.

You should be able to use quantize with slicing but again it’s often easier (and more natural sounding) to move things manually.

Thanks guys. Very much appreciated.