Tips for a new Video Monitor

Hi everybody,
hope this is the right place to post.
I’m trying to make an opinion about a new video monitor to use as a main one with my MacMini late 2012, Cubase, Live and other software, photo editing sw included.
I know there are a lot of options but I’m planning to buy at least a 24", maybe a 27" or 30", because with my old two 17" wide I’ve not enough space and, as one of the two died, I want to enlarge my workspace.
My main question are:

• are there compatibility issues? Could MacMini run a 4K, for example?
  • could I use two different monitors, one old Asus 17" and a new 27-30" with different resolutions?
  • What do you think about ultrawide monitors? I don’t like them very much and I wonder if they can be good for photography too…
  • I received some suggestions yet but I’m not an expert: benq ew3280u, LG 27UL650, DELL P2419H, LG 29WK600…
    I know Eizo are very good monitors but they are very expensive too…
    I wouldn’t buy spend more than 500 €, if possible…
    Thank you for advicec, tips, opinions…
    Arturo

I think you’d have better luck doing a forum search/posting here:

Good idea, Poinzy!
Thank you very much for answering!
Arturo

Got this one 4 months ago - highly recommend to replace 2-3 monitors with only 1 !
And I love the included stand that takes near zero space on the desk.

Hi Y-D,
thank you so much for answering!
I had a look at the monitor you suggest me and it appears to be a very good one but I’m afraid my MacMIni (late 2012) can’t support it…
https://support.apple.com/kb/SP659?locale=it_IT&viewlocale=it_IT
Arturo

Hello,
I don’t know if you are still looking for a monitor, as you asked some time ago. A few months ago I bought an ultrawide monitor (Philips 345E2AE (34", 3440 x 1440 pixels)). I’m very happy of my choice, and I think ultrawide monitors are perfect for Cubase. Regarding photography, I think the quality of the monitor matters more than the format, but I personally would steer away from curved monitor for photography. Regarding ultrawide, fortunately someone told me that the smallest interesting dimension is 32’‘, 29’’ would be definitely too small. I found a 34’’ and it’s really not too big. In my opinion, a resolution of 3440 x 1440 pixels is a must with that kind of monitor. I prefer 1 ultrawide than 2 monitors, but that’s a very personal choice. Anyway, if you decide to buy an ultrawide, get a big one (you should be able to find 34’’ within your budget).

Hi Jerome,
thank you for answering; in the meanwhile I went for an LG 27MK600M that was widely in my budget and I’m satisfied (I only did a few test with photos, for the truth, but it’s surely much better than my old Asus) and I use the second monitor much less than I did…
I’m planning to buy a desktop arm to keep the screen a bit more far and keep more space free on the desktop itself.
Thanx again,
Art