Tips for Steinberg

Yes, the million dollar question. Let’s hope that Steinberg’s old arrogance does not return. There are a lot more high-quality competitors out there on the market now, so Steinberg has more to lose if they return to their old ways. Most of us own more than one DAW app so it’s not like we’re blind to what other apps can do.

But I do think this premature C7 release is just a blip. Well, I hope it is anyway. Maybe they just got too excited about their excellent progress in recent years. You’ve gotten a little excited about a good project before and released it too early, haven’t you? I’ll give them a little room on this one… I’ll call it “overachieving exuberance.” Very different than what happened with C4, which was “arrogant incompetence.”

I just hope I’m right! :slight_smile: The first maintenance update for C7 better be good. :exclamation:

It seems pretty obvious that this release was only made to get a slice of the christmas market. I find it irresponsible to put out such a bug-riddled release. I wouldnt even call this a beta. More like an alfa.

Yeah, it certainly is seeming that way. Shame.

Calling it an alpha is a bit of hyperbole, me thinks.

I was also planing on installing Cubase 7 on day one, but I’ve decided to wait a little longer. Like Uarte, I’ve ordered the boxed version of C7, which should arrive here around December 25th (Musician’s Friend is currently out of stock). The original plan was to pick up C7 at my local Guitar Center, do a fresh install of Windows and start working on new projects from there. Unfortunately, that plan won’t take place anymore until perhaps after the first maintenance update. Don’t feel like beta testing either, though I’ll probably be tempted to try it alongside Cubase 6.5. We’ll see :slight_smile:.

Hi,

i don’t agree with most of the complaints in the board.

Sluggish GUI

• what do you really mean, where is the problem. Sluggish is no requirement for a developer

Click and pop when saved it while it was running

• can’t confirm that for me, no problems

One time the cpu jumped up stayed there and froze the project

• can’t confirm that for me, no problems. I turned the steinberg hub off, so the responsibility increased.

Mixer reorganizes itself

• what do you mean ? There is no reorganisation on my system

Loudness meter freezes

• din’t check that

The insert labels on the mixer are funky. I’m not a gui designer but they’re hard to read and seem like they need to be tweaked.

• no problems here

I think most of the complaints could be avoided if anyone would read the documentation first . There are many ways to customize and change settings in the mixer.

Graphic glitches here and there? Yes. Things that are not working as they should? Yep, noticed that. But unusable? Not at all. At least for me. Maybe it’s because of my workflow but beside minor issues I don’t have a real problem. Maybe it’s just by accident but C7 is very stable on my system.

I think the concept of the new mixer is fantastic, and aside from a few bugs should be considered a success.
Doesn’t feel sluggish at all on my machine.

The aesthetics however are not so good;

• brushed metal effect is unnecessary and immature (I think the aethestics of the main workpage are great)
  • curved borders for different sections unnecessary … wasted space and wasted “ink” … not attractive
  • Shading on rack labels, inserts and send buttons reduce readability … and look amateur

Less shading, less curves, less wasted space … a more minimalistic, more functional look please.
Every pixel should be conveying useful information … not used for decorations.

But overall, heartfelt congratulations and thanks for a great, great upgrade.

I really hope they fix the cmc units. Yes, their own units. I just love the way they speed up my workflow. Other than that I cross my fingers for the original skin + C7 maintenance ASAP. I’m also using C6.5 for now.

Dude your talking out of your back end. I’ve been using Cubase daily for years so I know the software and 6.5 ran like a dream. Look around there’s plenty of people having the same issues and the mixer issue was documented by Steinberg before C7 was ever released

1. I think there’s an issue with the Virtual Keyboard.

It sometimes loses connection to the qwerty keyboard. Deactivating and reactivating the Virtual Keyboard in the Transport Panel reconnects it and makes it work again. As far as I can say it’s a random issue. Not sure about the cause.

1. Another issue I have is that some projects, that work well in previous versions of Cubase, have a very heavy ASIO load and make Cubase 7 play them with audio dropouts.

Thanks to you all you guys for writing in with your observations. As a result of reading them, this studio in Spain is going to wait - like many others - before attempting to upgrade. It’s just too much time wasted trying to sort out the issues. And it would be good to make it clear to Steinberg that we don’t want buggy early releases.

Like any track type which is only available in a bigger version of Cubase, they are not shown in the project page but can be worked with via the editors common to all Cubase derivate versions.