Tips on mixing in and out tracks needed

I have a project in which five singers have recorded a song individually in full on five separate tracks.
The idea is that one singer starts the song of, sings a few words, and then the next singer comes in and continues while the first singer is muted, and so on.
I’d like to keep the recordings as they are so that I can change them up later if need be, so I don’t want to cut in them.
Is there a smart way to get around this?
Using Cubase Pro 11 on a Windows 10 PC.

Thanks a lot.

Use mute automation.

Also note that making cuts in the event on a track does not destructively alter the source file. You could load in all the tracks, the make a duplicate track version for each, and then do whatever editing you want on the new track version knowing that you can always go back to the first track version. But still, the underlying audio files will remain intact in the pool.

1 Like

Thank you for those tips, kelp.
Much appreciated.

Revisiting this.
I don’t know if this is a bug, but:
I’ve used the mute automation for this, but when I play back not all tracks will unmute even if I can see that the mute light goes off for the tracks. This happens randomly, and each time I go back to start, different tracks will behave this way.