To Steinberg Software Engineering Team: Two Very Important Matters

Dear Steinberg Software Engineering Team,

Thank you again for producing the beautiful Cubase for musicians like us. We all know that producing Cubase is not very difficult and you are working very hard to craft such a comprehensive product. I would like to discuss with you two matters that relates to you customers as follows:

Q1) Past few week I had cubase 10 with latest version on Mac Mojave crashing on me ( 20 times) without any report? Please see the attached file.

Looking at the issues forum, I am sure, many other have similar issues. I have been reporting many crash bugs past few weeks and I am sure many others are doing the same thing.

I am guessing you guys are using QT/C++ for your development. Are you guys using exception handling and input validation for every single operation and event? To what extent? Do you have the statistic distribution of the errors that are occurring? input validation, UI, etc.? Many exceptions are left uncaught when they are thrown. What happens is the program terminates and with no error message. In fact the top-level handler ( Cubase) does not catches the handler and the uncaught exception reaches the runtime.

Q2) In my experience around 20% of errors are due to the settings in preferences, may we ask why this is happening? Why there should be conflicting settings there? Instead of asking users to go to safe mode ( only software I know using safe mode except operating systems) Steinberg can crease a test for compatibility of preferences? Each times, the user has to go back redo the setting and this is tedious specially when one has the external settings.

Moreover, whey doesn’t Steinberg asks the testers and your users for feedback after each crash to fix it? You can ask your users to send over their the crash log/reports ( as Microsoft, Apple are doing).I don’t see Steinberg are asking use for feedback after each crash!

As they say, there’s no rose without a thorn, but the florist should cut/remove/handle them before handing the rose to the clients.

Best wishes,

CS

PS. Exception Safety | Qt 5.15

Hi,

1. No, Cubase is not using QT. It’s based on own framework. Yes, the developers are using exception handling.

2. For some reason and because of very high complexity Cubase sometimes writes an unexpected preferences which is in collision with something else later on. Because of the complexity, this is very hard to test (you just cannot test all possible combinations and use cases). I’m sure Cubase is tested very well. But same as other high complex softwares, the are bugs.

I would say 80% of the crashes are in plug-in side. :wink:

Hi CS,

Could you ZIP all your 20 crashes and share them via Dropbox with me (send me a link via PM, please). I would like to resolve all of them at once to get some overview, if there is anything in common.

Thanks

Here they are. I guess I have to post this to Features and suggestions so that the Steinberg office in Hamburg will see it.

I hope Steve or one of the moderator can do that. I don’t want to create duplicate posts.
Archive.zip (689 KB)

Hi,

Majority of the crashes is in EastWest Play.

Thank you Martin.

Would you please tell me which ones if possible? I will send them to EastWest.

• Cubase 10_2019-02-14-221851_chekads-iMac
  • Cubase 10_2019-02-17-194127_chekads-iMac
  • Cubase 10_2019-02-17-194159_chekads-iMac
  • Cubase 10_2019-02-17-232653_chekads-iMac
  • Cubase 10_2019-02-17-233615_chekads-iMac
  • Cubase 10_2019-02-17-234131_chekads-iMac
  • Cubase 10_2019-02-17-235021_chekads-iMac
  • Cubase 10_2019-02-17-235222_chekads-iMac
  • Cubase 10_2019-02-18-110516_chekads-iMac
  • Cubase 10_2019-02-18-115348_chekads-iMac

Thank you Martin. I just sent them over to EastWest.

Did you find any common issues in the other crash files?

Hi,

Some of the crashes were in the same area (in Cubase). I’m investigating more.

Thank you. I just sent them to Steinberg team.