Tonality system and shortcuts

Hello — Just a note to say that once a 24-EDO tonality system is implemented, the “-”, “0”, and “+” shortcuts to add a flat, natural, and sharp seem to no longer function. Is this intentional? Working in a score which has several microtones but also very frequent sharps and flats, I find it disconcerting and wonder if canceling these key shortcuts is necessary / helpful. Many thanks.

Hmm … The keys still work for me in 24-EDO on Mac. What system to you have?

Thank you, you’ve helped me to clarify the problem: these shortcuts seem to still work if one switches to Equal Temperament 24-EDO, but not if one makes a copy of the tonality system and switches to Equal Temperament 24-EDO (Copy).

Yes, that will be because the shortcuts are associated with specific accidental definitions with particular IDs, and once you duplicate the tonality system, you end up with different IDs for all of the accidentals. I know that it’s really awkward to work efficiently with choosing accidentals for custom tonality systems, and we definitely intend to try to smooth this out in future.

2 Likes

Hi,

I’m having the same problem with a project that was created a year ago using the +, - and 0 shortcuts for inputting flats, naturals, and sharps. I haven’t changed or duplicated the 24-EDO file.

Is there any chance these things have been ironed out in version 5?

Many thanks,
Peter

No, there’s been no change in this area recently.

Thanks for the reply.

Do you know what the reason might be in my case - no changes to the 24-EDO file but still not able to use the shortcuts? And how might I go about troubleshooting?

Many thanks.

The easiest way to troubleshoot is if you can attach the project here, so we can take a look at it. If you’re worried about sharing your music, you can delete more or less everything from the project and then upload only a bar or two.

Accidental troubleshoot.dorico (1.0 MB)
Here it is. Many thanks in advance!

Thanks for providing the project, Peter. I find that using the =, - and 0 shortcuts during step-time input works OK in your project, so I can create notes with accidentals during note input with no issues. However, I can’t set an accidental on a selected note outside of note input using the =, - and 0 shortcuts, and that’s because Dorico is looking first for the default accidental type from the built-in 12- and 24-EDO tonality systems, then falling back to looking for one that uses the same underlying music symbol. However, because the tonality system in your project has (I guess) been imported from another project, all of the internal IDs have been made unique to avoid overwriting the factory definitions in the project, so neither of these conditions is met. What we can do in future is have a further level of fallback that will find an accidental with the wanted pitch delta, and return the first of those.

1 Like

Just to follow up and offer another example, attached is a minuscule file which uses two 24-EDO tonality systems: for one, shortcuts work; for the other, they don’t.

I take it to mean this is because the second was copied from the first (I can’t remember if that was actually the case, but it may well have been)?

Thanks, Daniel, and all the best!

testing-tonality-systems.dorico (435.5 KB)

Yes, this project exhibits the same issue as Peter’s, so the same additional fallback would work in this case too.

Many thanks for your help with this, Daniel.

Am I misunderstanding this if I ask whether it is possible to revert to the built-in 24-EDO and simply disregard my imported file?

Yes, you should be able to select the atonal key signature at the beginning of the flow, choose either of the built-in 24-EDO tonality systems (either the Stein-Zimmermann one, or the Gould one), then recreate the atonal key signature at that point. That should ensure that Dorico is thereafter using the factory tonality system.

Thanks. Working as normal now.