Tracking VST Guitar Plugins

Maybe I am dumb as f**k, but if you want to record wet, why don’t you just put the amp modeler vst on the input channel?
(I don’t really understand why you don’t just leave the plugin on the track, but I guess you manage huge projects and need to save processing power?)

Your not so dumb after all :smiley: You answered your own question. When you have a large project with lots of vst guitar inserts and midi vsti’s, then it can help to bounce them down to audio while recording (audio interface buffers are low so that latency isn’t an issue while tracking the vst guitars) and later jack up your audio interface buffers and start mixing.

Something else I have noticed about RIP. It doesn’t disable the VST plugin or VST instrument. Note that there is a difference between activating/deactivating vs enable/disable plugins in a project. When you truly disable a plugin you gain all the cpu back it was using, this isn’t the case when using RIP and deactivating your plugins.

Actually, I am not sure if Cubase allows disabling of plugins…need to research that.

** UPDATE - Alt + Clicking bypass will disable the plugin.

So, while I’m not really sure if you want to use the tracks you have “bounced” when mixing, or if it’s just that you want guitars through amps while recording more stuff, I would suggest that the simplest (and by far least time consuming) way to accomplish a wet and a dry track at the same time is to simply record to two different tracks at the same time. Just create a new mono bus called wet guitar, set the input to the input you normally plug your guitar into, then put whatever amp plugin on the wet input and record both the wet and dry (from your normal bus) at the same time. Even if you take into account the fact that you chave to create two tracks, you’ll save a lot of time even if the song is just a minute long:)
That’s what I think I’d do.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I need to hear the vst plugin while I track the guitars ,then bounce it down to another audio track (which will include the vst guitar effect so its wet, not a dry track) and disable the vst plugin, thus regaining CPU as I track my guitars and midi virtual instruments. I hope that makes sense.

Yep makes sense, but that is exactly what happens if you do it the way I suggest (if you enable monitoring of the track recording the wet input). You will record a wet track and a dry track without any more work, and regardless of the amount of tracks you record there will only be one instance of the vst amp modeling running:) And you have the dry tracks to reamp or whatever if you later decide to change settings om the modeling.

The problem is I need to record say 12 guitars and I need to hear the wet playback of each new track as I record. So we are back to square one as in needing to bounce the vst wet track and have it available to hear as we also monitor new guitar tracks.

No, as the modeling (in my example PodFarm) is on the input channel wet, the track recorded from that input will have your guitar sound (you will hear it when you monitor that input channel) , and it will be recorded like that, so no need yo bounce at all. I feel like we’re not really connecting, but I hope I’ve understood your needs, because then my solution is both simple and quick.

So after I record the first guitar, what about the second guitar and third? How do I hear the previous guitars with the vst plugin while recording the new guitar tracks?

you dont need to hear them with the plugin, because when the plugin is put on the input channel it records with the plugin. The modeling takes place before your playing reaches the tape, so to say:) Think of it this way: if you put it on an input channel, it’s just like recording your amp, and you run a DI patched in before the amp to record a dry signal just in case.
So when you have recorded a guitar part, just mute the dry track and disable monitoring for the track you recorded, then put up another pair of tracks 8one wet, one dry) and monitor the wet one. repeat until you have all the guitars you need. Then, when you dont need low latency anymore you can use the dry tracks if you want to change your sounds, or if you are still happy with hte wet sound you recorded with you can just continue to use the wet ones.

You are missing my point…I need to hear the previous recorded guitar tracks WITH the amp modeling. Thus the need to bounce them so that I have a track printed WITH the guitar amp sound and I can reference it while recording the new guitar tracks.

No you are missing my point: once you have recorded a track you just play it back, because it is recorded with the modeling. Its not possible to hear it WITHOUT the modeling, thus the possible need for the dry channel too. Why not set up a very simple project and try it out? I think, from your description, that this is more or less perfect for your needs, and it is much faster than anything else, because there is NO NEED to RIP or bounce at all, and once you have a guitar thrack it won’t use any more processing power than playing back any track without inserts on it.

I went back to your earlier post, I think I understand now what you are suggesting. How did you setup the Wet Git input?

One of the issues is you would need this Group/Track setup for each guitar sound you wanted to record and be able to go back to and manipulate during mixing. A lot more steps and complexity compared to other DAWs.

Please do, and let me know how it went, good luck!

How did you setup the Wet Git Input?

In the audio connections setup box you just add another input bus, make it mono and select the physical input you want to that bus too. In my example it is a simple UR22 which normally has a stereo input and output, so i just add a mono bus called wet and assign the left input to that one too. Now you have two software inputs that are connected to the same physical input, and once you have created a track to record you choose wet as input, then go to the input channel in the mixer view (F3) and add the modeling vst as an insert there.

So you are saying I have to do this for every guitar sound that I want to record in the project? Lets say I have 8 guitar amp models that I plan to use? I want to tweak them later while mixing after recording.

Yes, just like you have to do when using rip or whstever “bounce”, the big difference is that when recording it is much faster, and instead of having to to rip or bounce in the middle of your creative process you will do the amp setups twice.

Ok, did a test and there are issues with the monitoring since I am trying to record to stereo track from a mono bus. I need the wet target audio to be stereo as the output from the plugin is stereo. Also this workflow in Cubase has more steps and complexity than just using one track and after recording routing it to a second track.

When you are cranking through a creative session of tracking guitars you want to get your ideas recorded as fast as possible with minimal setup. I appreciate your time and suggestion, but for VST amp modelers, I will stick with another DAW during the tracking phase.

I hope Cubase updates their internal mixer to match current offerings as they have some other nice features that I like a lot.

Fair enough:)