Transitioning from Logic to Cubase. A general critique from a film composer

Hope I’m understanding your issue…

You can bind a key to show/hide a track’s instrument. For me, it’s “V.” I press “V” and Kontakt just pops up! Press it again and it closes.
Also, Instrument Tracks and the inserted instrument do show up on the MixConsole inserts. Check the visibility and Racks settings if you don’t see them.

This is simply one of the worst things about tracks in Cubase. All the more ironic, since, under the hood, all audio is routed as stereo!

Is this true? I’m not sure

This is doable in Cubase. I’ve bounced back-and-forth between LP and Cubase for years. I do love LP’s folder-y system of presets. But, Cubase has its own system for doing this. You can create channel presets with instruments and FX chains, and select them from Media Bay. Ironically, Media Bay has become more like LP in recent years with it being accessible in the right Zone.

It’s far more wide-open and free than LP’s system, but it also can do some things that LP’s can’t. Cubase’s Media Bay feels like Android to LP’s iOS.

You can create full track presets and favourite them and organise them however you like.

Upvote all! This feature in LP alone made me want to stick with it for life, and I miss it so much in Cubase. Perhaps, one day, Steinberg?:pray:

does this not equate?

Just wanted to say, as someone who’s done the reverse-transition attempt, that it’s always super-frustrating making that change. And there will always be some things that you’ll just hate. Logic almost swayed me, but, in the end, it was just too alien and I’ve stayed with Cubase. But, if I had to, I could run my studio with Logic. All these DAWs share the same features now.

Mathematically speaking, you’re taking a step up, moving to Cubase. The engine is more accurate. Logic will show drift with timing and automation. Worst of all, renders in Logic seem to be independently decided by Tim Cook himself. I’ve had entire instruments go missing and automation disappear from renders in Logic. Pro Tools is probably the tightest mathematically, but who the heck wants to produce in Pro Tools lol. Cubase is a close second place, with totally reliable renders.

Good luck, hope you stick with it!

The greatest deciding factor for me between all these DAWs is the absence of Project Logical Editor, Logical Editor, MIDI Transformer, and all these combined with the vast amount of Key Command/Functions and combined with Macros.

Because of these features, my workflow both creative and technical is 100x faster than anything I could achieve in other DAWs.

With these utilities, I’ve even created my own editing functions that don’t exist in Cubase as default, or, other DAWs.

1 Like

Yeah so many great deep options in Cubase!

What would you say are your top five work flow time saving logical editor / project log editor macros ? I’m always keen to speed up work flows and I know these can be powerful. For me personally they have to be things that I would use multiple times per project to be worth using though, and currently I’ve got my most used key commands set up pretty well to cover ‘nearly’ everything. But I’m still curious as I know cubase can go deep ?

I agree. Maybe he has the combine selection tools mode selected? This might be useful:

I’m in a similar situation having mainly used Logic for a very long time. I have kept Cubase around since version 1 but back when I switched it never saw much use again.

Now I’m back with it full time. I suggest really looking at all the preferences that allow customization of Cubase. I keep finding things that help me make it look and feel like something I was used too, but it also can be a little overwhelming that you can adjust so many things.

The longer you use Cubase the less you’ll miss Logic.

I recommend setting up an iPad with IC Connect for easy access to key commands.