Transport bar

I’m looking for a way to keep the transport bar on the screen at all times. I want to be able to see how many minutes and seconds into the piece I am as I’m writing it. Any advice?

Hi SamiSeif !
In the general preferences there is a setting to keep the playback bar showing.
If you click on the elapsed meter/time display several times you have access to the bar number/time since beginning of the flow/time since the beginning of the project.
Select a note and press p, the playback starts from there and the time display shows the time status there. Not sure keeping the green line always showing is of any help here.

This is related to your question and may also help you: I usually put in the top text frame the {@flowDuration@} token.

Thanks for the help, MarcLarcher!

I’m a little confused, I can’t seem to find it. If I understood correctly, it’s in preferences->general?

If that’s where it is, I can’t seem to find it. I’m using windows if that helps.

The option Marc is referring to is ‘Show playhead when stopped’ on the Play page of Preferences. But I’m not sure whether what you mean by “transport bar” is Dorico’s playhead. However, you can always bring the playhead (even if it’s not shown) to the position of the current selection by typing Alt+P, which will update the timecode display in the mini transport in the toolbar and the separate Transport window.

Hi Daniel,

I think there’s been a misunderstanding. I’m asking if there’s a way to have the current timecode (in minutes and seconds, not beats and bars) in display at all times. So basically I’m asking if there’s a faster way to get to that information than having to open and close the transport window constantly.

If the toolbar is visible, then the timecode of the playhead position is always shown in the top right-hand corner. Type Alt+P to update the timecode for the start of the current selection.

My toolbar is visible, but all I’m seeing is the timecode in beats and bars, not minutes and seconds. How can I change that?

You can click the timecode display in the mini transport to change what’s shown. You can specify what the default display in there should be on the Play page of Preferences.

Perfect, this is exactly what I need! And I love the ability to flexibly alternate between minutes and seconds with beats and bars.