Transport buttons keylab 61 mkII don't work within cubase pro 11

Hi,
Just bought a Arturia keylab 61 mkII for integrations with my cubase pro 11.
Alle midi seams to work ok, vst are shown in cubase, learning cc works but when hitting the transport buttons on the arturia a sound is triggerd instead of de transport functions.
Does anybody know this issue? operating system windows 10. Tried several remode devices (mackie control, mackie hui) but I presumed integration between arturia and cubase shoul be plug and play?

perhaps these screenshots will give you some clues.
In the ā€œMidi Port Setupā€ section of ā€œStudio Setupā€, is there a separate entry for the transport buttons of the Arturia, such that you can choose to uncheck the box ā€œIn All Midiā€.
Those transport buttons have to be removed from the ā€œall MIDIā€ā€¦ and then setup to control the transport (see how Iā€™ve done it for my M-Audio Axiom in the second pic.)

Hi, so you had to manually assign the controller within cubase?
I will try that to figure out how it works, in mean while also waiting for arturia support, because normally thereā€™s a already made protocol wich should work immediately without manually putting it within studio setup.
Thanks so far

Iā€™m curious to see what you find out. I feel like whatever Arturia offers, itā€™s probably something to do with configuring these same settingsā€¦ automatically, I presume.

Iā€™m interested in upgrading my controller myself, and I see the key lab has some nice features.

Well, they say look at KeyLab MkII - Tips & Tricks KeyLab mkII FAQ (arturia.com)
But for cubase you have to select the mackie hui I think, but has only 2 buttons available ?
Second picture i followed you hint.
on the arturia I preselected in DAW mode the Cubase template, but transports wonā€™t work.

Yes, I Bought this one because alle the contollers, but itā€™s my first time experience with a midi controller (and only 5 months with cubase)

The Arturia instructions say to select Mackie Controlā€¦ not Mackie HUIā€¦

In the second pic, you donā€™t want to deselect BOTH of them. You want the KeyLab to play MIDI notes using the keyboard, but NOT using the transport controls. But I donā€™t know if deselecting one of those will fix the problem.

BUTā€¦ maybe you donā€™t need to do any of the above and just follow the Arturia instructions closely regarding the ā€œMackie Controlā€, and that will fix everything.

Tadaaaaā€¦ grinning:
Ok Shagazulu, Thanks!
By first attempt I did select the Machie Control, but it didnā€™t work, maybe because the in All MIDI was selected. I immideately started searching Forum and read that Cubase uses the Machie HUI instead, so started tryin everything with this settingā€¦didnā€™t work.
Now I did selct the MAckie Control again and Itā€™s working, transportbuttons, faders, knobs I think you would like this Midi controller to! I go playing wiht it and will brief you about my experiences If youā€™d like?

thatā€™d be great. Iā€™m interested to see how you get on with it.

So, you have deselected BOTH of those ā€œin All MIDIā€ checkboxes that relate to your Arturia? It seems like you might only need to deselect one.

If you go to your MIDI track, or your instrument track, whichever youā€™re using, and you go to the area where it says to select your Midi Inputā€¦ did you select Arturia Keylab there? Because thatā€™s what you will always have to do UNLESS you allow the Arturia to be ā€œIn ALL MIDIā€ by checking at least one of those checkboxes.

youā€™re right, thes are my current settings. So I unchecked only the MIDIN2 because that one is used by the Mackie control.
I wired both the USB and the 5-pin DIN midiā€™s. USB to computer directly Ad 5-PIN DIN in/out Steinberg UR22mkII. Donā€™t know both are necesarely, but its working!

1 Like

Both arenā€™t necessary, and thatā€™s probably why you were getting the transport to play midi notes, Iā€™m guessing.

If you detach the MIDI cable and just use USB, does the ā€œMIDIIN2 (KeyLab mkII 61)ā€ entry go away completely, and therefore its ā€œIn ALL MIDIā€ checkbox doesnā€™t need to be unchecked?

Still functioning, also with the cables unplugged.
Arturia support did advise me to reset preferences within Cubase also and put the global controls in manually as suggested on their site. Functioning very well. Now starting to discover al possibillities. First impression? Faders and transport controls are ver time saving.

1 Like

very cool.
Iā€™ve used controllers in the past, and i found I just ended up using the mouse and computer keyboard still, mostly. I do have little Steinberg device that I use to control monitor switching in the Control Room, and source switching But the transport buttons I programmed on there, I donā€™t use. I donā€™t even use them on my keyboard controller in front of me since I have to reach for it. The computer keyboard is just too handy. So, placement is key to getting the most out of your new toy. Enjoy!

So hereā€™s an update. Iā€™m now using the keylab mkII61 controller for aproximatly 6-7 months. Still exploring new featurs to combine with cubase. The features of cubase are huge and I think I need 48 hours each day to explore them all, so you can imaging how much it will take to combine it with the midi controler :slight_smile: But Iā€™m getting used working with the controller. Especially playing the vst instruments within Cubase for example Halion. It works very easy to us the 16 drumpads and assign them. I find myself using a combination of keyshortcuts and the midicontroller to have a nice workflow in Cubase. The faders and knobs are very usefull to do some tweaking.
Thatā€™s it for now. Thanks again for helping me starting with it primarily.

2 Likes

Oh, great. Thanks for the update.
keylab MKIIā€¦ Iā€™m still interested. My old MAudio Axiom might soon need to be sidelined., so I appreciate the feedback.

Best.
And happy new year!
Mike

This is an excellent thread. I have a Keylab Essentials 61 and am considering Cubase after having a nightmare of a time setting it up in both Reaper and Cakewalk. Itā€™s good to know it works well in Cubase (which one would expect). One question I have though is this: I assume you have your faders controlling track volume by default, and knobs Pan, and your transport controls work as expected. Now, the question is, can you also use a Learn function in your Plugins to, say, temporarily assign a fader to control an FX parameter (like Cutoff), and use that for writing automation (at the same time as everything else working as it did before the Learn?). In Reaper, I can either have the faders control the track volume, or set them up so that I can use Learn to control the FX params, but not both at the same time. In Bitwig, this process is extremely EASY and seamless, and works like a charm, but it lacks a lot of functionality I need.

Thanks for posting the update. It will be useful in the future. Cheers.

Hi, Iā€™m using the Keylab for 1,5 year and must say still exploring all possibilities. Not only for the keylab but also for Cubase, beacause you can use it ā€˜smallā€™ but when you dig into it, the sky is the limit :slight_smile:
Within cubase 12 Pro there is a new feature called midi remote control. The keylab essential is pre-programmed and ready for use.

Then depending on what is selected (Halion, Padshop, Retrologue or other VST, there are quick controls pre-programmed or you can use the ā€˜learn ccā€™.
There you can use the write automation when recording this specific track.
So this is where the fun begins. Assigning the buttons means youā€™re ready to tweak you plugin synthesizers and create youre own unique sounds.

Cheers

1 Like

YES!! Three days ago, I downloaded the 60 day trial and have been exploring it. The new MIDI Remote panel is pretty incredible. It recognized my Keylab Essential 61 upon launch and all the transport functions worked perfectly. This is because Steinberg created a Javascript script that maps the keyboard and binds the CCs for the MIDI Remote panel. It looks like pretty straightforward code, which should make it easy for manufacturers to build one for each of their products. Apparently, they didnā€™t notify Arturia that they were doing this, so there are no other scripts available at the moment (guess we got lucky here). I would think the API would have been published way before the V12 launch. Not sure that Steinbergā€™s thinking is here.

At any rate, yes the mapping is easily achieved, and the QCs are a really nice feature.

FINALLY somebody it taking the lead in making some sense out of the MIDI interface nightmare. Fingerā€™s crossed. :crossed_fingers: :+1: