Transport controls in WaveLab8 from someone used to 7

Hi there,

Even though WaveLab 8 has been around a while, I find myself using WaveLab 7 to edit audio content simply because I’m used to the transport controls workflow. When I use WaveLab 8, I find myself swearing repeatedly for a variety of differences in the way the transport controls function in WaveLab 8.

Is there a guide that I can use to help with the transition to the new transport controls? For main audio editing, I use a repeated play of the selected area initiated by hitting the spacebar on the keyboard and, when the area is deselected, it plays to the end of the file and repeats by starting playing the file over. When I select a new selection, the play head jumps to the start of the selection… each time the start of the selection is moved… and plays the selection and repeats at the end of the selection. When I stop playing, by hitting the space bar, the cursor remains in the last position it was playing at…

I find myself swearing when I hit the spacebar to stop playing the selection after having selected an area, and the playhead moves to a place that I previously selected… completely outside the current selection… minutes prior in the audio and that also causes the main waveform view to have moved and I can’t see the selection anymore from it.

I find myself swearing when hitting the spacebar to start and stop the audio… because it seems to randomly choose which of the play and stop modes to use on a minute to minute basis… sometimes it will loop to the end of the selection, sometimes it won’t. Some times it’ll respect the settings set with the presets for a moment, but a few clicks later, it’s doing something completely different.

I get that by default, F6 should now be my preferred key to hit to control the audio. Enter to start from the last position of the play head… This definitely feels more complicated and less intuitive then WaveLab7 to me at this point and one of my favorite features of WaveLab 7 was the ease of use when compared to other audio editing programs.

So… Just ARG :slight_smile: I want to use WaveLab8… however… My workflow is severely crimped by the transport controls at the moment.

Is there a guide that I can use to help with the transition to the new transport controls?

The documentation is complete on the subject. Did you read it?

I hit the spacebar to stop playing the selection after having selected an area, and the playhead moves to a place

Disable this option
2013-06-23_23-32-33.png
Other than that, the following option is important:
2013-06-23_23-30-45.png
This will try to guess what you want. eg. if there is a selection, F6 will play the selection. If there is none, WaveLab will read the whole file.

It’s not working quite like you or the manual describe.

What’s clear to me… is there’s a hard difference between playing a selection and playing the whole file.

When I press F6 on a selection and then release the selection by clicking somewhere else, it repeats at the end of where it was previously selected, at this point there’s no selection… but will not continue past the selection. When I start it via the spacebar, it plays from wherever I set the playhead and ignores the selection. So, in summary… There are two play modes that I use, one is started with enter/spacebar, the other is started with F6 and in WaveLab 8, it doesn’t switch between the two automatically like in WaveLab 7.

enter and spacebar are not the same thing exactly. Spacbar is start/stop toggling, while enter is always “start”.

I don’t know which part of the manual is wrong. I carefully proved check this.