Transpose Key Signature

How do I transpose a score from Cmin to Dmin including the key signature? I am using the latest version of Dorico Pro. Thank you.

You can use the Transpose dialog - if you open it when nothing is selected, the transposition should apply to the whole flow, including a key signature provided it’s selected (either the key signature itself or its signpost for key signatures without accidentals).

Thank you for the reply… So are you saying with know music selected but the key signature selected if I try to transpose the key signature the music changes to the new Key? I tried that and the music stays the same except the key signature changes and adds appropriate accidentals to the music which is not in the new key. Forgive my ignorance but this is confusing to me. Thank you.

Ah sorry, on reflection I think I worded that really badly - either if you’re selecting just a specific part of a flow you’ll need to select the key signature explicitly alongside the music in that passage; or, to transpose a whole flow including key signature, select nothing at all. And then open the Transpose dialog and set the options as required.

1 Like

Thank you! That is the answer that I need! Thank you for you time and help!

I’m clearly missing something obvious… I have a short phrase within a flow and want to change the key signature and pitches in one operation (I can do it two). If I select the notes and open the Transpose" dialogue box, the 'Transpose Key Signatures" option is grayed out. If I try and include the local key signature in my selection of notes, the notes are de-selected (or visa versa). What about this relatively simple operation which I’m sure people do all the time am I missing?

This is odd. Have you tried selecting using the system track?

Thanks!! Works perfectly. Does that mean that for any operation(s) that involves notes as well as other contextual material (not sure exactly what besides time signatures), one should always use the System Track to do the selection?

Yes, indeed. I Googled “Dorico system items” and immediately got a nice list of objects, from the User Guide.

If I may add to that, I managed to select the first four bars and transpose the key and the notes.

But when I select the last four bars (using the system track) (or any bars not starting at bar 1 for that matter) and want to do the same with them, the option ‘transpose key signature’ is greyed out.

I see that only when selecting the first bar the keysignature is selected (blue). What am I missing?
Is it not possible to transpose the key signature and notes in one go?

• Screen shots for transposing the first four bars

There is no key signature item at the start of bar 5, therefore a key signature is not explicitly selected when you select the second system, and therefore the key signature cannot be transposed (because Dorico cannot see it in that transposition). Prevailing key signatures aren’t sufficient in this context.

If you want to transpose bars 5-8 separately from 1-4 and transpose the key signature along with the notes, you must first input another key signature at the start of bar 5.

2 Likes

Thank you for the quick reply, then I understand.

Would be a nice option to have though :slight_smile: Because the key clearly is still Fm (in this example) even if there’s not an explicit key-signature at the selected bar