Transposing Selections with Key signatures included

I’m making some work sheets of exercises, which cycle in 4ths through all 12 keys. The transposing is working fine EXCEPT each new system has no key signature, just the necessary sharps and flats.

Per the manual, under Transposing Selections:
“If your selection included key signatures and you activated Transpose key signatures, all key signatures in the selection are also transposed.”

But if the first system is in the Key of C, there’s no key signature to select.
How do I include the Key signature in this case?

Have you tried invoking the popover at the beginning and typing C?

1 Like

Daniel is right. If you don’t input shift-K, C, Dorico will consider your music as « atonal ».

Hi Daniel,
Thanks for the suggestion.
It already showed C Major by default, but I tried your suggestion, anyway. Good thought, but it didn’t work. It transposed a fourth to the Key of F by manually adding the flat symbol on every B note. However, the start of the System is still void of any visible key signature, so it still thinks it’s in the Key of C, as demonstrated by the added flat symbol on every B note.

Any other ideas?

John

Maybe try deleting the C major signpost and re-enter? Was this file an import of any kind?

If you attach your project here I’m sure one of us can take a look. I don’t know what else to suggest other than that.

That made no difference.

While this exercise is basic (from Jeb Patton’s, Introduction to Jazz Piano A Deep Dive, Sher Music), Mr. Patton’s suggestion to do this in all 12 keys presented a great opportunity to use Dorico. I don’t use this app very often, but when given the opportunity, I will turn to Dorico, for the learning experience.

I am creating this from scratch using the Solo Lead Sheet template.
I also wished I could find a way for the double bars to be inserted automatically at the end of each system, but the Layout Options are doing that even though I have that set. It’s quick and easy to do manually, just looking to use all the automation Dorico has to offer. Again, a learning experience opportunity.

Can you show us the transpose dialog before you press Ok?

Also, have you tried just creating the F major key signature and then transposing it’s four bars?

To make sure you had C major already typed in, make sure that Signposts are visible (my advice is to keep them visible all the time, as well as voice colours).
Transposing to a perfect fourth using the Transpose… tool should insert the appropriate key signature.

I’m setting the Quality and Interval and Direction: Up or Down on the left, so Calculate Interval is not being used. The manual states these 2 methods are independent of each other; so it’s up to us to use one or the other.

I thought of this, but I first wanted to see if there’s some reason it can’t work from C. I’ll try Marc’s suggestion to make Signposts visible and if that doesn’t work, then I’ll try starting from F.

For some reason, Transpose key signatures is greyed out. It should be ticked so that Dorico inputs the one flat key signature. :person_shrugging:

Signposts were already Visible by default.

1 Like

How are you selecting the four bars? Make sure you use the System Track. Does this make sense?

Marc, it was so dim, I didn’t even see it until you pointed it out. I read the option below it and thought that was the setting for Key Signature.
Thank you very much!

And thank you, Daniel, for all your suggestions, too.

I really appreciate both of you guys helping me find a solution!

John

2 Likes

Normally, if the key signature option is greyed out, it is because there is no key signature in the selection.

The other tool to transpose is the shift-i popover. For instance, shift-i, t4P should transpose up a perfect fourth.

Putting in manual system breaks will stop the key signature from applying to all staves? Is that correct?

Unfortunately, I don’t use Dorico every day, so remembering all the keyboard shortcuts is next to impossible for me. I’m in the CRS age bracket. LOL