Transposing up a minor 2nd from Eb puts me in Fb!

There doesn’t seem to be any way to transpose by key in Dorico, but only by interval. And there doesn’t seem to be any way to respell notes and chords in a whole flow. Am I missing something? Or do I have to export my flow, transpose it in Sibelius, then import it back?

(I found a trick: I transposed down a minor second from Eb to D, then up a major second from D to E. But this is something that you folk should fix.)

Try an augmented unison rather than a minor 2nd - Dorico treats these things literally.

Ken: as Leo said, this is a little different way of thinking about transposing. Use “unison” when the letters are the same, and add “augmented” to adjust by a half step.

As far I can see it, Dorico did a good job. A minor second up from Eb should give you Fb.

Is there not literally a little helper tool in the top right of the Transpose window where you can enter the keys and it gives you the interval?

The transpose dialogue works fine. Your settings were just incorrect. This will work as you intend.

For the record, I didn’t understand this immediately because the Direction (up / down) property is greyed out when selecting an augmented unison. But as it turns out, Dorico always treats any unison as a transposition ‘up’. (i.e. a diminished unison up = a half tone down, and an augmented unison up = a half tone up).

I don’t really want a “little helper tool”. I just want to transpose into a different key, like I do when I’m playing. This is a rare case where Dorico is more confusing than the other scoring apps.

How is it more confusing? If you want to go from Eb to E, that’s not a minor second semantically, it’s an augmented unison. There are indeed cases where such particular changes are needed. That’s the reason for the calculator. Once you’re sure what you’re transposing exactly, you don’t need it.

I think it’s a bit complicated.

Let’s say your piece is in C major and you transpose by one half step (let’s think in steps rather than intervals to avoid the aug unison vs minor 2nd). You are now in Db major, which is generally preferable to C# major, so it’s straight forward.

But what if your piece is in C dorian? If you just follow the same logic, you end up in Db dorian which seems fine at first, but now you have 7 flats and you should probably respell that to C# to be in dorian relative of B major (5 sharps).

By the same accord, sometimes Fb might be right or preferred. Not sure if any scoring software properly automates all that.

You look upon the transposition from Eb to D as being a minor second but Eb to Fb as being something different, whereas it’s also a minor second, and Eb to E as being the same, which it isn’t. That’s not consistent and it’s certainly not something the folk should fix.