Transposition horizontal alignment with staff labels

I’m building a new template for an orchestral project in Dorico Pro 5.1.40 on macOS 14.5 (Apple Silicon). My main usage of Dorico so far has been for chamber music or small ensembles so I may be a bit rusty here.

I’m trying to achieve the following:

1. Staff Label centred
  2. Instrument transposition centred beneath the staff label
  3. Staff Label instrument text alignment centred

I now see this:

Why is the ‘3’ not stacked vertically below the other inner labels?
Why is Horn (F) for 3rd horn not stacked vertically below the other staff labels? This happens for all non-condensed instruments. They are horizontally aligned among themselves, but you end up with two alignments. Is it possible to get a single, consistent one?

The default, with Staff Labels right-aligned, is even worse looking:

Why can’t the F be centred beneath the instrument name?
The screenshot is for when the score used another default font, but it reproduces exactly the same with Academico.

What can I do to improve this?
Thanks

One workaround is to make the third horn a section player rather than a single player. Use divisi to create two section divisions, change the label of the second division to 3, and delete the first division. The outer staff labels for the horns will align horizontally if you set the player numbers to Ignore stem allocation in Engraving Options > Staff Labels > Numbering:

2 Likes

I’m now getting this:

What am I missing?

Besides, is this the only way, that is, to use the Ignore stem allocation option?
Can it be confirmed that this is not possible natively?

In the Change Divisi dialog, change Show section numbers to Show, or check Show section names on first system in Layout Options > Staves and Systems > Staff Labels.

Thank you, but I had already tried that, with no luck…

I’m afraid that unless you upload a project with your player setup, I don’t know what else to suggest.

Yeah, sorry for not doing this before…
Test score.dorico (637.2 KB)

Unfortunately, my suggestion doesn’t work if you allow section players to condense divisi. Sorry about that.

It works well if I turn that off, which is enough for me :slight_smile:
Thank you very much!

1 Like

Now that I check further in the score, strings need to be divisi.
I will try to keep this as is since it’s a homorhythmic divisi for now, but what can I do if I eventually need to condense divisi?
Can I keep the option turned off like it is now and use a manual condensing change just for the strings?

I’m surprised to discover that if you put a string section player in a custom condensing group, you can condense the section divisions for that player even though the option to allow section players to condense divisi is not chosen.

2 Likes

So… just add that single section (e.g. Violin I) to a custom condensing group?!

Yes. I just tried it, and it worked for me.

1 Like