Tremolo question

In 6/8 time I wanted the tremolo result (Shown Below):
Wanted Reslut.png
The default input in 6/8 time looks like this (Shown Below):
Defaul entry.png
In order to achieve the result I’m looking for, I had to enable an Override for the tied 1/8th notes (F) to make it a 1/4 note.
My question is, why can’t the tremolo be created with the default notes entered.

If you enter this in 3/4 instead of 6/8, the default entry works well. Just now I entered it in 3/4, then changed the meter to 6/8, and the tremolo stayed in place. But I agree with you, it would be helpful if Dorico took into account the actual duration of a note, and not its notated duration, when calculating tremolos.

This does bring up a larger issue I’ve been thinking about with Force Duration: once we activate Force Duration, either by clicking its icon or typing O, I would very much like it to act on notes that already exist, without having to delete and re-enter them.

For instance, in the picture below, I would like to re-notate this chord as a whole note. Ideally, I could activate Force Duration, then type 8, and it would work. But instead, I have to delete the chord and re-enter it. (Maybe I’m missing something? But I don’t think so.)
whole-note.jpeg
It would be so much easier if I could use Force Duration to force the duration of an existing note or chord. I think if the Dorico team could change this behavior of Force Duration, it would help not only for Nicholas’s tremolo problem, but for all sorts of things.

Stephen, we agree that it would be useful to apply Force Duration to existing notes, so we hope that this will be possible in the future.

Nicholas, you do have to make sure that the notes you want to be included in a multi-note tremolo are each notated as a single note before you can apply the tremolo. This is a limitation that we hope we will be able to lift in future, but it is not among our highest priorities at the moment.

Thanks very much Daniel – I don’t think I realized exactly what was bothering me with Force Duration until I wrote this post!