Tremolo starting with flagged note

Hi, folks.

Dorico has a very fundamental differentiation between what something is and how it looks, and while this is one of the big hurdles new users have to take when learning Dorico, it is one of the big strengths of the software: A note might be 2 beats long, but depending on where exactly it starts, it may be rendered as a simple half note or a weird combination of notes of different length and ties. And if need be, we can then change this either by using on of the manyfold options or by literally “forcing” Dorico to paint it the way you want.

Having this said, when it comes to tremolos, Dorico leaves this path of virtue: I would expect Dorico the know that a note is a 3-stroke-tremolo, but if it starts on an eigth-note which already has a flag, it would know to only paint 2 of them on the eigth note but 3 on the following tied notes.
But this is not at all what’s going on: I have to differentiate myself and click the 2-stroke-tremolo if it starts on an eigth note.
Now, all would be fine if Dorico internally would still treat it as a 3-stroke-tremolo from then on, but unfortunately it does not:

1. Dorico’s playback resolves this as if it only had 2 strokes, even where Dorico paints 3 of them.
  2. When I move the note so it starts directly on a beat, Dorico switches back to 2 strokes only.

This mixture of “real 2-stroke tremolos”, “real 3-stroke tremolos”, and “things that look like 3-stroke tremolos but internally are 2-stroke tremolos” is something that I can’t solve by myself.

percussion_tremolo

First bar: 2-strike tremolo
Second bar: 3-strike tremolo
Third bar: 2-strike-tremolo which should be a 3-strike tremolo but behaves like a 2-strike tremolo

I really hope this will be resolved by the great team that has created Dorico. I am aware that this is a BC break, but from a higher perspective it will make tremolo much more consistent with Doricos over-all philosophy.

Thanks for listening :wink:

1 Like